Limiting the number of databases on an instance.

• Good day all,

I would like to know if it is possible to limit the number of databases on an instance and if yes, how can I do it? I thank you in advance for your assistance.

:-PManie Verster
    Developer
    Johannesburg
    South Africa

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. - Holy Bible
    I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times. - Everett Mckinley Dirkson (Well, I am trying. - Manie Verster)

• You can try this approach.

ALTER TRIGGER DDLTrigger_Sample

ON ALL SERVER

FOR CREATE_DATABASE

AS

BEGIN

if (select count(*) from sys.databases ) > 9

rollback;

END

Sriram

• CREATE TRIGGER [DDLTriggerLimitNumberOfDBs]

ON ALL SERVER

FOR CREATE_DATABASE

AS

SET NOCOUNT ON

DECLARE @MSG VARCHAR(500)

IF (SELECT COUNT(*) FROM sys.databases WHERE name NOT IN ('master', 'msdb', 'model', 'tempdb')) > 5 -- Change this to whatever you want!

BEGIN

SET @MSG = N'maximum number of user databass reached'

RAISERROR(@MSG,16,1);

ROLLBACK

END

GO

ENABLE TRIGGER [DDLTriggerLimitNumberOfDBs] ON ALL SERVER

GO

---------------------------------------------------------

It takes a minimal capacity for rational thought to see that the corporate 'free press' is a structurally irrational and biased, and extremely violent, system of elite propaganda.
    David Edwards - Media lens[/url]

Society has varying and conflicting interests; what is called objectivity is the disguise of one of these interests - that of neutrality. But neutrality is a fiction in an unneutral world. There are victims, there are executioners, and there are bystanders... and the 'objectivity' of the bystander calls for inaction while other heads fall.
    Howard Zinn

• Abu Dina (6/19/2013)

CREATE TRIGGER [DDLTriggerLimitNumberOfDBs]

ON ALL SERVER

FOR CREATE_DATABASE

AS

SET NOCOUNT ON

DECLARE @MSG VARCHAR(500)

IF (SELECT COUNT(*) FROM sys.databases WHERE name NOT IN ('master', 'msdb', 'model', 'tempdb')) > 5 -- Change this to whatever you want!

BEGIN

SET @MSG = N'maximum number of user databass reached'

RAISERROR(@MSG,16,1);

ROLLBACK

END

GO

ENABLE TRIGGER [DDLTriggerLimitNumberOfDBs] ON ALL SERVER

GO

Abu, thanks a lot I have already put this trigger on a test server and it works famously.

You can try this approach.

ALTER TRIGGER DDLTrigger_Sample

ON ALL SERVER

FOR CREATE_DATABASE

AS

BEGIN

if (select count(*) from sys.databases ) > 9

rollback;

END

Sriram

Sriram,

Thank you also for your effort. It come basically down to the same thing as what Abu gave me. He just added something more.

Thanks a lot to both.

:-PManie Verster
    Developer
    Johannesburg
    South Africa

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. - Holy Bible
    I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times. - Everett Mckinley Dirkson (Well, I am trying. - Manie Verster)

• You welcome! 🙂

---------------------------------------------------------

It takes a minimal capacity for rational thought to see that the corporate 'free press' is a structurally irrational and biased, and extremely violent, system of elite propaganda.
    David Edwards - Media lens[/url]

Society has varying and conflicting interests; what is called objectivity is the disguise of one of these interests - that of neutrality. But neutrality is a fiction in an unneutral world. There are victims, there are executioners, and there are bystanders... and the 'objectivity' of the bystander calls for inaction while other heads fall.
    Howard Zinn

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply