Limit number of cores used per instance - Licensing

• Hi -

I have a server which is using total of 12 cores running an instance of SQL server. I was told to dedicate only 8 cores of CPU to be used by the instance for licensing purposes. Can you please tell me what the best way is to go about limiting CPU cores? I read a few articles, and each suggests different options and ways. One way is to set the AFFINITY MASK. I appreciate if you please guide me here.

• Update - I have used the affinity mask, initially I had all processors show as online. Now I have only 8 visible online. Please correct me if I am wrong. Thanks.

• Hi,

I'm not really comfortable with licensing (and please correct me if i'm wrong) BUT you have to license all cores that might be available to sql server and not only which are masked...

If you're using a virtual machine that might (or is) be functional and legal but only telling the sql server to use 8 out of x cores is (afaik) not license conform.

Bjoern

• Bjoern -

I was not able to find any good source explaining about licensing and CPUs available to SQL Server, but based on the articles out there I used masking. That way we know SQL is not using all CPUs available at the server level, the server is a physical box and not a virtual server. I posted the question to get others opinion on this and get me corrected.

• NorthernDBA (7/2/2015)

I'm not really comfortable with licensing (and please correct me if i'm wrong) BUT you have to license all cores that might be available to sql server and not only which are masked...

That's my recollection as well. Affinity mask is not adequate, to reduce the number of cores licensed, iirc the unused cores have to be disabled in the BIOS, that is, not visible to Windows at all, not just masked out.

Yup, here we go

http://www.brentozar.com/archive/2014/04/sql-server-2014-licensing-changes/

To license a physical server, you have to license all of the cores.

And that's a direct quote from the licensing data sheet, which the post links to.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Gail -

Thank you so much for the link and your input, I will look into it and follow the necessary steps.

I appreciate it.

Lava

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply