Licensing

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Licensing

Thanks

• Nice simple/easy question to start the week ...........THANKS

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• Easy one for Monday, thanks.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Cool, a nice simple one for Monday morning.

Nice one, thanks. 😀

• Nice straightforward question. Thanks

I though it was easy until I saw that more than half of the people who answered so far got it wrong. 😉

Tom

• L' Eomot Inversé (4/30/2012)

I though it was easy until I saw that more than half of the people who answered so far got it wrong. 😉

Might be because the Microsoft page about SQL 2012 editions only mentions Web, Express and Developer as a footnote...

• Good one.

M&M

• paul.knibbs (4/30/2012)

Might be because the Microsoft page about SQL 2012 editions only mentions Web, Express and Developer as a footnote...

Typical. I had to go to a non-Microsoft website to find information about a Microsoft product that was useful and well written.

Thanks for the question.

[font="Verdana"]Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.[/font]
    Connect to me on LinkedIn

L' Eomot Inversé (4/30/2012)

I haven't seen that page; the BoL page Editions and Components of SQL Server 2012 has all the editions, none of them relegated to footnotes.

But the non-Bol page referred to in the explanation lists only the three principal editions and doesn't even have the others in footnotes, and the editions page it points too is equally awful, as is the word document it also refers to. So I see your point, although I don't see the page you found. Of course these are marketing pages, not technical ones.

Looks like the marketing/sales types screwed up the technical story again - why does that happen so much in almost every company in the world?

Tom

• Look again at the page you just linked to--underneath the big headlines saying what the three main editions are you see the following:

* The Web, Developer and Express editions are available in the SQL Server 2012 release.

• bitbucket-25253 (4/28/2012)

Nice simple/easy question to start the week.

I would have added one other adjective to Bitbuckets description : expensive

For those of us without much funding to "keep up with the Jones' ".... we had little choice but to remain at SQL 2000 or 2005. Now, SQL 2008 isn't even offered at the one place we almost always go to for Microsoft products. So we will be required to jump to 2012 if and when department budgets permit getting new software. What an increase in licensing costs!

I'd like to know how other organizations are coping with this change in SQL licensing. Is the BI version as good as the old Enterprise version, or will Enterprise licensees have to jump to the "new"

Enterprise at a hefty cost increase? Because of our current hardware schedules, we may not have to cross this bridge for another year to 18 months, but even then our funding may not be enough to justify or cover the cost of a license upgrade. :pinch:

Here is the URL we used to learn about the new versions:

http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/en/us/get-sql-server/licensing.aspx

paul.knibbs (4/30/2012)

L' Eomot Inversé (4/30/2012)

I haven't seen that page; the BoL page Editions and Components of SQL Server 2012 has all the editions, none of them relegated to footnotes.

But the non-Bol page referred to in the explanation lists only the three principal editions and doesn't even have the others in footnotes, and the editions page it points too is equally awful, as is the word document it also refers to. So I see your point, although I don't see the page you found. Of course these are marketing pages, not technical ones.

Looks like the marketing/sales types screwed up the technical story again - why does that happen so much in almost every company in the world?

I am sure that was a rhetorical question but from what I have seen, marketing types are trying to get the most sales so they only push the parts that will make the most money. They usually push the versions with the heaviest feature sets to wow over customers in hope of making big sales. The more minimalist versions may be all that a customer actually needs but those versions also cost less and thus generate less sales $. It's like car advertisements where they advertise the version of a car that has all the options and looks really flashy but they list the base model's starting price, not the price of the car that is actually in the ad with all the extras. If they do, it is in really tiny print and usually only on the screen for a second.

At least the main SQL 2012 editions page http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/en/us/sql-2012-editions.aspx"> http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/en/us/sql-2012-editions.aspx had the other versions as a footnote. Some companies really make you dig for the scaled down versions or you have to call a sales rep before you can even get that information.

• Nice and easy question to begin the week.

"El" Jerry.

"El" Jerry.

"A watt of Ottawa" - Gerardo Galvan

To better understand your help request, please follow these best practices.[/url]

Look again at the page you just linked to--underneath the big headlines saying what the three main editions are you see the following:

* The Web, Developer and Express editions are available in the SQL Server 2012 release.

Unfortunately you do not say what you are replying to. I guess it's probably my post, so I will simply say again that neither the licensing overview page nor the editions page it refers to makes any mention of teh editions other than the three principal ones, while the BoL page I referenced lists all the editions, none of them in footnotes. Maybe by "footnote" you main "one of the sections with a main section heading", but in that case surely you should say that even the three principal editions are only mentioned in a footnote, just like the other editions.

Tom

paul.knibbs (4/30/2012)

Look again at the page you just linked to--underneath the big headlines saying what the three main editions are you see the following:

Unfortunately you do not say what you are replying to. I guess it's probably my post, so I will simply say again that neither the licensing overview page nor the editions page it refers to makes any mention of teh editions other than the three principal ones, while the BoL page I referenced lists all the editions, none of them in footnotes. Maybe by "footnote" you main "one of the sections with a main section heading", but in that case surely you should say that even the three principal editions are only mentioned in a footnote, just like the other editions.

One of the links you included in your message is this one: https://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/en/us/sql-2012-editions.aspx.

On that page, just above the heading "SQL Server 2012 Capabilities", is the footnote.

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server/Data Platform MVP (2006-2016)
    Visit my SQL Server blog: https://sqlserverfast.com/blog/
    SQL Server Execution Plan Reference: https://sqlserverfast.com/epr/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply