License Pricing

• I want to know if there is a pricing difference between SQL Server 2005 32 Vs 64 bit versions?

If yes, can someone provide me the link.

Thanks.

SQL DBA.

• I just checked Amazon, and there does appear to be a difference on there. Where do you usually buy software for your company? Can't you just contact them for a quote?

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• We had licenses for both 32 bit and 64 bit. But, my manager wants to implement a policy of going for 64 bit only for all new SQL Server 2005 servers from now on.

What would be the major change in maintaining these 64 bit servers then compared to 32 bit ones. I don't see anything new in day - to - day maintenance. But just want to know if there would be some special need or requirement over all.

Thanks,

SQL DBA.

• No real differences in maintenance that I know of. Not on the day-to-day stuff, anyway.

One thing I might suggest is, if you're looking at upgrading from 32 to 64, why not go from 2005 to 2008 at the same time?

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Company IT dept. took the stance that they will go for SQL Server 2008 only in Mid 2010 after Microsoft releases SP2 and then add 6 months to it.

SQL DBA.

• SanjayAttray (4/23/2009)

Company IT dept. took the stance that they will go for SQL Server 2008 only in Mid 2010 after Microsoft releases SP2 and then add 6 months to it.

I see, the safe play approach. Having the time I'll do the same.

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • That works too. Lower ROI (due to paying for 2 upgrades in 2 years instead of 1), but potentially lower risk.

Property of The Thread

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply