latest service pack for SQL and Windows

• Is there a website listing the latest service packs for windows servers and sql servers?  I'm getting a migraine trying to track down this information.
    It shouldn't be so difficult to track down.

Angry Grimace

When the snows fall and the white winds blow,The lone wolf dies but the pack survives.

Once you've accepted your flaws, no one can use them against you.

• I hate to ask, but have you really tried searching? I Googled "SQL server version list" and the first result (excluding Wikipedia) had exactly what you are looking for for SQL Server. 🙂

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• You seem to be serious.
    The problem with searching is one doesn't know which service pack is the latest and greatest.  I was hoping the Microsoft download center would help.  It still may but is a royal pain in the a$$ to use.

When the snows fall and the white winds blow,The lone wolf dies but the pack survives.

• I always use the list provided by SSC.  Just search "20xx Build List"

• fizzleme - Wednesday, April 11, 2018 1:49 PM

You seem to be serious.
    The problem with searching is one doesn't know which service pack is the latest and greatest.  I was hoping the Microsoft download center would help.  It still may but is a royal pain in the a$$ to use.

I just repeated Thom's suggested search and can confirm his seriousness. Result #1 is exactly what you want for SQL Server.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• have a splendid day.   Glad this worked for you.

• And now I'm on a PC, I can copy and paste: SQL server version list. Which, like i said, the 1st result gives: Which version of SQl Server do you have? The page has a table which is very easy to determine what the latest version is, as SP's increment in number (i.e. no SP is the first version, SP1 then next, SP2 then next).

The page also even has a build list afterwards.It's very comprehensive.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Now that is exactly what I was looking for.   Is there something similar for Windows Servers (not SQL)?

• Using Google (again): List of Windows builds gives Microsoft Windows versions, which was also the 1st non-Wikipedia result. Not as comprehensive as the other, however, the build number of Windows doesn't change anywhere near as frequently as SQL Server. Often it's not the OS itself that is patch, but the applications, executables and drivers that you have installed.

Just to point out, it seemed I was joking, but good search engine use will really save you hours of time for things like this. You really shouldn't be relying on a stranger from an online forum to find the right resources for you. 🙂

Thom~

Larnu.uk

• Call me lazy.   I dug around using google and became frustrated.  What I specifically need to know is the latest service pack delivered for Windows 2008r2, 2012 and 2016.  Ideally standard and enterprise edition.   If you are annoyed answering my rudimentary question I understand.

• fizzleme - Thursday, April 12, 2018 10:15 AM

Call me lazy.   I dug around using google and became frustrated.  What I specifically need to know is the latest service pack delivered for Windows 2008r2, 2012 and 2016.  Ideally standard and enterprise edition.   If you are annoyed answering my rudimentary question I understand.

Don't bother with the download center. I tried that route a few times and it's beyond a PITA. One way you may want to check and see if it works for you is to try the Microsoft Update Catalog. Just go to the main site and search on things like: Update Windows Server 2016 or Update Windows Server 2012 R2
    You can then sort by last updated
    Microsoft Update Catalog

Sue

• fizzleme - Thursday, April 12, 2018 10:15 AM

Call me lazy.   I dug around using google and became frustrated.  What I specifically need to know is the latest service pack delivered for Windows 2008r2, 2012 and 2016.  Ideally standard and enterprise edition.   If you are annoyed answering my rudimentary question I understand.

Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 use the same builds, iirc. 2012 is Windows 8 (2012r2 = 8.1) and 2016 is Windows 10. Unless I recall incorrectly.

Thom~

Larnu.uk

• Thom A - Thursday, April 12, 2018 11:51 AM

Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 use the same builds, iirc. 2012 is Windows 8 (2012r2 = 8.1) and 2016 is Windows 10. Unless I recall incorrectly.

That should be right, but they sometimes release the SP slightly off.

• Phil Parkin - Wednesday, April 11, 2018 1:56 PM

fizzleme - Wednesday, April 11, 2018 1:49 PM

You seem to be serious.

I just repeated Thom's suggested search and can confirm his seriousness. Result #1 is exactly what you want for SQL Server.

Just an FYI. What you see in a Google search (or Bing/Yahoo/etc) isn't what others see. The results can vary dramatically.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply