Langauges that support SQLDMO Objects

• Which other programming languages other than VB allow to use SQL DMO. Does VBScript(ASP) allow COMPLETE use of DMO like VB does or is there any difference?

Paras Shah

Evision Technologies

Mumbai, India

Paras Shah
    Evision Technologies
    Mumbai, India

• I think the biggest difference is that you can't (I think, Im a VB guy, not ASP) is that you cant handle the events. For instance, if you want to show a progress bar or whatever during a backup you'd dim the backup object 'withevents', then do some display update in the event handler. I dont think VBS handles events, taking a quick look at the docs at http://www.msdn.microsoft.com/msdn I don't see withevents as a supported keyword.

I think there is a way using the Windows Scripting Host to capture the events, but it struck me as a hack hardly worth taking (someone prove me wrong!).

I would also think that since DMO is built on COM, any language that uses or understands COM would be able to use it.

I tend to code my scripts in the VB IDE, then do a quick "conversion" to VBS if Im going to run as a job (though often I will just compile to a dll and run that, this is a good way to bypass the 4k limit on job text), I havent found any real problems with using VBS to accomplish what I need.

Andy

• I want to use ASP + SQLDMO to create an interface so that I can have a look at my SQL Stats and also create databases and tables from my ASP page. Is it going to be using ASP? If not, what should I use? What is the best method to do it, if I HAVE TO DO IT for the web.

quote:

I think the biggest difference is that you can't (I think, Im a VB guy, not ASP) is that you cant handle the events. For instance, if you want to show a progress bar or whatever during a backup you'd dim the backup object 'withevents', then do some display update in the event handler. I dont think VBS handles events, taking a quick look at the docs at http://www.msdn.microsoft.com/msdn I don't see withevents as a supported keyword.

I think there is a way using the Windows Scripting Host to capture the events, but it struck me as a hack hardly worth taking (someone prove me wrong!).

I would also think that since DMO is built on COM, any language that uses or understands COM would be able to use it.

I tend to code my scripts in the VB IDE, then do a quick "conversion" to VBS if Im going to run as a job (though often I will just compile to a dll and run that, this is a good way to bypass the 4k limit on job text), I havent found any real problems with using VBS to accomplish what I need.

Andy

• ASP will work. Biggest thing is your code gets all wrapped up in your UI. Depending on the scope of your project you may want to wrap DMO in an object of your own and use that in the asp. Events arent really going to matter.

BMC also has a web tool, but I have not tried it.

Andy

• BMC has lot of software for SQL & Oracle which one is the one which would be useful.

quote:

ASP will work. Biggest thing is your code gets all wrapped up in your UI. Depending on the scope of your project you may want to wrap DMO in an object of your own and use that in the asp. Events arent really going to matter.

BMC also has a web tool, but I have not tried it.

Andy

Paras Shah

Evision Technologies

Mumbai, India

Paras Shah
    Evision Technologies
    Mumbai, India

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply