Landing SQL/database gig

• New to the forum, I apologize if this question was asked prior. As a recent graduate of a Business Informatics program, I've had a tough time landing a job related to SQL/Database kind of work. I've taken a couple classes in SQL/Database design my time in college and I developed an interest for the two. I like writing SQL statements/scripting and trying to design a good relational database. However, I do not have any work experience besides retail jobs during my collegiate years. I wanted to know if I should look into getting a certification from a particular software/company to better improve my resume, and also which certs are worth the investment (Oracle, MS, etc). Also I am from LA-state (may help if one of you guys are from here and may know which certs/software are more in demand down here in the south.

Thanks! Any help/advice is welcomed.

• Welcome, to the site and to the SQL Server community.

Microsoft SQL Server certifications are a great way to get ramped up as the content covers the entire data platform. Studying for the certifications is actually more valuable than the certification itself, in my opinion. If you have the certification you may get the interview but if you happened to memorize and guess your way to passing the certification exam but do not actually understand the material you won't last long in the job, even if you do manage to make it through the interview process and land a job.

If you can work for free (or a reduced rate from an open market job) then summer internship season is coming up. Internships are a great way to get real-world experience, typically with a lower level of pressure on you to deliver, while building the first entry on your resume in the field you want to go into. Check with your local university or check the job sites of some of the big employers in your area.

I would also suggest hanging out on this site. Check out the Stairways Series[/url]. Subscribe to the daily newsletter and read the contained articles. Try answering the Question of the Day every day. Read the problems on these Forums that people doing this for a living are trying to solve. Get a copy of SQL Server Developer Edition and install it on your machine so you can write SQL locally and test things out. Read the solutions people post on the Forums and try them out for yourself. Before long you'll be coming up with solutions too, helping yourself and others get better in the process. Also, use the Forums to ask questions. As long as you show effort and abide by some basic web-etiquette when posting, the regulars in these Forums will be extremely helpful.

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

• It's fairly rare to find an entry level DB position. Most people who got into the DB area did so from another IT position. Helpdesk or developer, maybe with your background you could get a business position and move into data analysis.

As for certs, personally if I saw a cert with no experience I would assume that the person cheated their way to it. No insult intended to you, but that's unfortunately fairly common. Certs, imho, are there to validate your knowledge and experience.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • i think you need more practice in sql server scenarios than knowledge, atleast try to learn sql server basic fundamentals,how sql server works, like architecture,how query work,what to do when database is in trouble, how to troubleshoot error,where to look for error, you can do all this things in your home laptop also by installing sql server and practice few scenario, you will know where you are weak and need improvement.

you can also practice according to the scenarios questions asked in interviews

you can check interview questions on forums of winmilestone.com / http://www.winmilestone.com/Topic?Interview

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply