Knock, Knock…Who's There?

• Lux (7/23/2008)

The limerick packs laughs anatomical

Into space economical.

Though the good ones I've seen,

So seldom are clean.

And the clean ones so seldom are comical.

Yesterday it worked

Today the thing does not work

Windows is like that

Another one I dod not write.

ATBCharles Kincaid

• I really wish that there was a realistic way that the actual "best qualified" person could be the President of the USA

The best person for the job would be smart enough to refuse the position. William T. Sherman had it right, “If nominated, I will not accept; if drafted, I will not run; if elected, I will not serve.”

Lux

[font="Arial"]Ridiculum Ergo Sum[/font]

• I was thinking of the Florida "chad" debacle that we went through.

What's "best qualified?"

Not sure what that is for a DBA, much less President.

• Charles Kincaid (7/23/2008)

Then there is "Top Gear". I think that Clarkson is "The Stig".

Nah, he's too tall and fat.The Stig is much thinner. My husband and I love Top Gear. We also like to watch Grand Designs (not funny per se but some of the people make us laugh!). I love Ab Fab (Absolutely Fabulous for those not familiar with the show) and some of the older UK comedies like Are You Being Served. Some US comedies are good too like Two and a Half Men but I find a lot of US comedies too reliant on very obvious, kind of slapstick humour. I prefer dry humour. By the way I'm Australian so I'm not biased!

In the work situation you do need to run the joke through your head first and make sure that you aren't say poking fun at Christians when there is an orthodox Christian within earshot. We have a lot of different cultures at work and I have found that there is some commonality of what is humourous. There is a lot that is culture specific though. I must say that regardless of culture, the hardest thing for me is the person without much of a sense of humour, that takes your joke/pun so seriously that you can't even explain that it was a joke.

This editorial has been a great start to my day, thanks!

Nicole Bowman

Nothing is forever.

• Of course, as everyone knows, all CUSAs are just a bunch of semi-comatose dunderheads incapable of perceiving the deeply intellectual subtleties of British sitcoms...

This not only happened to the British. A while ago I found out that NBC has RECAST Kath & Kim, one of the funniest recent Australian sitcoms. The great thing about this show is that it captures the simplistic elements of *Australian culture* to a tee, as any person who lives in Australia or has spent time here will attest. So... why recast it to have Americans portraying Aussie culture?? Is it that Americans are unaware of or unwilling to digest the different cultures of any other country than their own? There are plenty of American shows broadcast on both Australian and British TV without going to the length and cost of recasting them to make them more locally acceptable. There are simply too many of things "lost in translation" and as a result it's bound to fail as NBC are finding out.

• You guys - there is one show you haven't mentioned at all -

Father Ted!:D

To the rest of the world its comedy, to the irish its serious drama 😉

Cath and Kim - damn I thought that was a documentary - australians are really like that 😛

Like santa said when he saw the three call girls standing on the street corner -

Ho, ho, ho merry Christmas

😀

Hiding under a desk from SSIS Implemenation Work :crazy:

• Michael D'Andrea (7/23/2008)

So... why recast it to have Americans portraying Aussie culture?? Is it that Americans are unaware of or unwilling to digest the different cultures of any other country than their own?

For the most part I don't think that's true. I feel the different culture stuff "makes" the show many times and I am sure others feel the same. We DO have a lot of people thinking for us however. :ermm:

• webooth (7/24/2008)

Michael D'Andrea (7/23/2008)

So... why recast it to have Americans portraying Aussie culture?? Is it that Americans are unaware of or unwilling to digest the different cultures of any other country than their own?

For the most part I don't think that's true. I feel the different culture stuff "makes" the show many times and I am sure others feel the same. We DO have a lot of people thinking for us however. :ermm:

Unfortunately there are a lot of people in the US, especially in the entertainment industry, who think Americans are only interested in America. I don't know, maybe they are right and I and my friends are the exception.

I know we were yelling at the NBC broadcasters during the last Olympics because they kept yammering and cutting to background stories instead of letting us see the competitors from around the globe, and they gave very little coverage to any sports where the US was not expected to do well. They also cut out almost all of the medal ceremonies where an American didn't win a medal.

"Shut up, Bob Costas!"

• Shaun McGuile (7/24/2008)

You guys - there is one show you haven't mentioned at all -

Father Ted!:D

To the rest of the world its comedy, to the irish its serious drama 😉

Cath and Kim - damn I thought that was a documentary - australians are really like that 😛

Like santa said when he saw the three call girls standing on the street corner -

Ho, ho, ho merry Christmas

😀

Heh. Or how about the London Bobby (policeman, for those unfamiliar with the term) who found his wife in bed with three men and said "Well, 'allo 'allo 'allo!" 😛

-----
    [font="Arial"]Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information upon it. --Samuel Johnson[/font]

• Cath and Kim - damn I thought that was a documentary - australians are really like that

No 😀

Well... not entirely anyway. Every "true blue" Aussie knows at least one other Australian who has an element of Kath & Kim in them, be it their fashion sense or the way they talk or behave and that's what makes it funny. It's a simplistic, satirical piss-take of Australian culture (we are often dubbed as being culture-less, but I beg to differ - I am, however, biased). With an American accent, it just doesn't work as American/Australian cultures are far too different!

Your comment above emphasises my point, that an Americanised Australian comedy just doesn't work.

• I know I'm going to regret this, but some masochistic bent is making me type this: why does it seem to be the general premise that Americans are dumber than a box of rocks (no offense to anyone, but someone felt compelled to explain what a Bobby is... ) C'mon people, we are not all a bunch of Jerry Springer-watching, Cheez Doodle gulping, uncultured dolts. Isn't there anything that Americans can tout as their cultural *advantage*, if you will. I mean, Aussie is cool, Brit is cool, Scot, well they might not be cool but they can definitely kick the haggis out of ye if you even look at 'em sideways. What is cool about being American -- about American life, music, culture, etc?

Hey, it's the birthplace of Bill Gates, huh? Huh?!... That counts right ?!??!

Bring it. :Whistling:

• 😀 USA Cool -

Elvis,

Best restaurants in the world,

Muscle cars,

Computers,

American Pie,

Sky scrappers,

Religious Freedom,

Religious Bigotry,

Freedom of speech,

ZZ Top,

Aerosmith,

The blues,

:D:D:D:D

er...Can't think of anything else at the mo,

• Shaun McGuile (25/7/2008)

😀 USA Cool -

Computers,

Sky scrappers,

Computers are british, sorry. You lot popularised them but we got there first, and the same thing happened with the aeroplane. (Yes, I'm british).

Though I like your idea of buildings that pick fights with the sky!

Personally, I don't get most american comedies. Can't understand the simpsons, friends and many others. Though others I do, (anyone remember "california dreams"?), so it's nothing against americans in general. I do find more british comedies funny, (red dwarf, yes [prime] minister, two ronnies and many more), but there are others I don't.

I expect the individual's personality dictates most what they like, as I prefer intellectual stuff, (word play, etc.), than slap-stick.

As for the US "americanising" things, I reckon that's just corporations playing safe, and is nothing to do with americans at all. It's simply because they think that's the best way to make the most money.

Paul H

Paul

• US Computers

I was meaning IBM for giving us the mass produced cheap beige box PC, Mr Gates for conning them with DOS, and Apple for its gimicks.

iffy joke time -

What's the differnce between a screw and a bolt?

--Shaun

• Paul (7/25/2008)

Computers are british, sorry. You lot popularised them but we got there first, ...

You chaps got there first, but while you were waiting for a pat on the back, we DID something with them!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "No question is so difficult to answer as that to which the answer is obvious." - George Bernard Shaw

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 110 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply