Join secondary database to Always On AG errors: Database is in single user mode

• I try to join a secondary database to an Always On availability group, and get error "Database "my_database" database is in single user mode which is incompatible with participating in database mirroring or in an availability group. Set database to multi-user mode, and retry the operation." I can't find solution to this from web.

I'm able to join other databases to this AG using exact SQL commands. Other AGs also work without issues. This database is only one having issues. I have created AG with wizard, and chosen "Skip initial data synchronization". Tried also wizard with "Automatic Seeding" and "Full database and log backup" synchronization options, but all end to same error. Also tried creating this database using schema scripts, and was able to join empty secondary DB to AG without issues.

Originally this database comes from SQL Server 2008, and recovery model was simple. Size 450GB. Second database in this AG comes from same server, and has no issues with secondary nodes. Any help is highly appreciated. Below all the steps.

Primary:

-- Restore production backup to Primary

USE [master]

RESTORE DATABASE [my_database] FROM DISK = N'\\my_server\backup\my_database_prod.bak' WITH FILE = 1,

MOVE N'my_database_Data' TO N'F:\MSSQL15.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Data\my_database_data.MDF',

MOVE N'my_database_data2' TO N'F:\MSSQL15.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Data\my_database_data2.ndf',

MOVE N'my_database_Index_Data' TO N'F:\MSSQL15.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Data\my_database_index1.ndf',

MOVE N'my_database_Index_Data2' TO N'F:\MSSQL15.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Data\my_database_index2.ndf',

MOVE N'my_database_Log' TO N'G:\MSSQL15.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Data\my_database_Log.LDF',

MOVE N'my_database_Logdata2' TO N'G:\MSSQL15.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Data\my_database_Logdata2.ldf',

NOUNLOAD, STATS = 5

-- Change options

USE [master] ;

ALTER DATABASE [my_database] SET RECOVERY FULL ;

ALTER DATABASE [my_database] SET COMPATIBILITY_LEVEL = 150

-- Create initial backup from Primary

BACKUP DATABASE [my_database] TO DISK = N'\\my_server\backup\my_database_first_full.bak'

WITH NOFORMAT, NOINIT, NAME = N'my_database-Full Database Backup',

SKIP, COMPRESSION, STATS = 10

- Backup LOG

BACKUP LOG my_database

TO DISK = '\\my_server\backup\my_database_trn_00001.trn'

WITH STATS

Secondary:

-- Restore backup from primary server

USE [master]

RESTORE DATABASE [my_database]

FROM DISK = N'\\my_server\backup\my_database_first_full.bak' WITH FILE = 1, norecovery,

STATS = 5

-- Restore log from primary server

restore log [my_database] from disk='\\my_server\backup\my_database_trn_00001.trn' with norecovery

-- Join database to AG

alter database [my_database] set HADR availability group= AG_PRD1

ERROR:

Msg 1488, Level 16, State 2, Line 27 Database "my_database" database is in single user mode which is incompatible with participating in database mirroring or in an availability group. Set database to multi-user mode, and retry the operation.

• This topic was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by  JLeino.
  • The error tells you what the problem is - the database in production is set to single user.  After restoring the database in production - change it to multi-user: ALTER DATABASE {database} SET MULTI_USER;

My guess is that the database was set to single user prior to taking the backup - which means the state of the database after restore will be single user.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Thank you for reply. Database was in multi-user mode when backup was taken. I tried this several times.

As far as I know it is not possible to change mode when state is Restoring. Only not-recovered database can be joined to AG. Or?

Msg 5052, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

ALTER DATABASE is not permitted while a database is in the Restoring state.

Msg 5069, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

ALTER DATABASE statement failed.

• What is the state of the primary database - not the secondary database?

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Hi JLeino,

Why not just let the HADR process auto backup and restore the secondary database for you?

Also check your "Model" database in the SECONDARY replica and ensure it's not in single user mode.  Database restores often look at the model database configuration.

*** Please network with me and feel free to IM if you have any more DBA questions and concerns

https://www.linkedin.com/in/james-rossi-9094651b7/

james rossi
    Senior SQL Server DBA
    Senior Software Developer
    Alpha One Data
    Brain Box SQL Mobile DBA

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply