Joel U

• I heard about the Fog Creek MBA awhile back and since I have a lot of respect for Joel and his success in software, I thought it was pretty cool. If I was 21 or so, I might be interested in applying, although I don't think I'd have a great chance of getting in there.

Then this week in my Database Daily scan, I noticed this commentary from Brian Lockwood of ApexSQL. He talks about the problems he sees with Joel's program, kind of a rant really, but if you know Brian he's prone to go off on tangents at times. A good guy, but he likes to talk. We love you, Brian!

What caught my eye and sparked this editorial, however, was his commentary on how we train managers, especially the part about trainees who are hired to be managers without being existing employees. It's interesting to think about how a new manager gets trained, because in IT it seems to be different than in some other industries, at least in my experience. I can't speak for lots of different industries, but I do have experience in 3 or 4.

I spent a long time in the restaurant industry. By that I mean I waited tables and tended bar. Actually I have also cooked, bounced, and managed in various types of establishments, both family one-off bars and large chains restaurants. The chain restaurants are interesting because they usually have some type of training program that managers are sent to. This includes lots of book as well as practical knowledge on how to run the restaurant. Once that is finished, the manager usually has a 2-3 week chance to work at one restaurant before becoming a manager (at the location or another one).

Now similar to the experiences Brian had a Merck and in the army, the trainee rotates through all the departments, dishwasher, cook, bartender, waiter, etc. And often these trainees don't have a lot of restaurant experience, so they are kind of applying specific knowledge to real situations. I watched quite a few of these managers over my formative years and noticed something about those that went on to be good managers.

When you're working with a cook or dishwasher, both of you know that you'll be in charge in a few weeks. But you can handle that situation one of two ways: you can act like you're temporarily placed below your status or you can act like you're no better than the next guy and work just as hard as a new cook would to prove yourself. It can go either way and I've seen it both ways many times.

The guys that go on to succeed as good managers act in the latter fashion. They tend to their work like it's the job they were hired to do, they're professional to do a good job, and they're willing to do what it takes to succeed in that position. And they encourage, support and help the next guy to succeed as well.

In short they're a leader.

I do think that you can hire someone to be a manager specifically, even train them to have certain skills. I'm not sure I'd hire someone and have them code for a year, but I might have them code with someone for a week to get an idea of the efforts involved. But only if I knew this person was a leader.

I'm not sure what makes a leader. If I was, I'd probably be speaking someone on how to build them, but I do know, as do most of you, when someone is not a leader. Leaders do emerge from situations, but it's hard to wait for that is business. Often you need someone to lead a team now.

This deserves more treatment, and indeed I had someone ask me to write an article for managers, which I may tackle. Not that I'm an expert, but maybe I have something to teach. I'm sure you'll let me know in the forums if not 🙂

All I can leave you with is that a good manager, leader or not, should promote and foster the growth of his team towards their goals while creating the least amount of hindrance possible. In other words, clear obstacles out of their way and give them what THEY need to work!

Steve Jones

• I think your observations about leaders being facilitators rather than gate-keepers is very accurate. I've been through a few different industries myself and couldn't agree more.

Facilitation is the most effective method of leadership, but a good leader also knows when a gate might actually be required. If they have developed their working relationships well, they also will know how to express this clearly to the co-workers and have them understand the necessities.

Regards,

Steve

Life without beer is no life at all

All beer is good, some beers are just better than others

• Best manager I ever worked for was a guy called Andy, when I was working as Analyst/programmer in a public sector institution. Andy could talk authoratively on every subject from faults he had found in the latest release of the database engine to the faults he had found in his microbore central heating system at home. He was innovative and enthusiastic about everything, and it was infectious, he enthused the whole team.

Andy had enormous energy, he zipped around the offices like a humming-bird, leaving a paper trail in his wake. This was one of his few faults , but he recognised and managed it. He had an in-tray in every office in the department. He would come and talk to you with a bunch a papers in his hand, and after a few minutes he would depart, leaving his papers on your desk. So you just put them in the in-tray in your office. At some time in the future, he would realise that he was without some crucial document, and would do the rounds of all the offices, collecting the contents of his in-trays.

He commanded enormous respect from us because we knew he was at least as good if not better at our individual jobs than we were. He could always help if we asked, but he never interfered unless you requested his help or he could sense you were struggling.

And Andy cared, he cared about us. He gave us praise and encouragement for a job well done, he bought us treats out of his own pocket, and he always fought our corner in management meetings. That means a lot to an employee.

It was a privilege to work for him, he was a good manager.

David

If it ain't broke, don't fix it...

• Totally agree. To me a good manager is one who has the confidence to let the people he's managing get on with their jobs. He should protect them from the politics, paper shuffling and non-core activites that get in the way of achieving their technical goals. He should recognise when a good job's being done and investigate when and why it's not, or clear obstacles to make it happen. And yes, he should most definitely defend his staff for all but the totally indefensible.

But to me you can only make these judgements if you've been there and have the T-shirt, just like Steve's dishwashers. This is especially true in a technical environment - I've personally witnessed managers who don't know what their staff do for a living have the wool pulled over their eyes, especially when it comes to costs and timescales. A good manager should never be in this position - it just invites derision from his staff.

Unfortunately some managers in IT seem to be promoted out of the way of doing any harm as technicians and into 'softer' management roles where they create equal havoc which costs their employers millions. Others go for management jobs not because they are suited to them, but because there's a glass ceiling on technical salaries. Is there any other industry where the better and more experienced you become at your job, the less it's acknowledged through salary and the more you have to consider moving out of your core competencies into areas you know little about?

Jon

• I second the "got the T-shirt" perspective and this is generated mainly from my own observations from the military and IT. Having worked in the trenches gives you a better perspective of the job.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• Another mark fo a great leader is an ability to constantly learn, and an acceptance to learn from anyone. Only those managers seem able to resist the impetus to slip into a stance where status quo is the expectation, and only they seem to recognize that even people who have zero expertise often have great insight into solutions.

• When you're working with a cook or dishwasher, both of you know that you'll be in charge in a few weeks. But you can handle that situation one of two ways: you can act like you're temporarily placed below your status or you can act like you're no better than the next guy and work just as hard as a new cook would to prove yourself. It can go either way and I've seen it both ways many times.

Good point. Good leaders understand that while it is their job to manage others in the microcosm of the working environment, everyone, no matter what his position is equally entitled to basic human respect. No one is 'better than the next guy' just on the basis of job assignment, age or education.

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --

• Not to detract from the impeccable Andy but I couldn't help chuckling at this part of the description.."And Andy cared, he cared about us. He gave us praise and encouragement for a job well done, he bought us treats out of his own pocket..."...I know that I'd be considered a good manager too for I am an Andy clone when it comes to .....my dog!

**ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI !!!**

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply