Issue running SQLIOSIM on new virtual Windows 2008 server with SQL Server 2008

• We've just set up a virtual server running Windows Server 2008 Standard and SQL Server 2008 64 bit Standard Edition installed. Prior to loading it up, I want to run SQLIOSIM (which I've successfully run against a virtual Windows Server 2003 Standard Server with SQL Server 2005 64 Enterprise edition installed). When I run SQLIOSIM, I get an error '0x80070005 Access is denied. Unable to open G:\ to determine Sector size' and then a second error 'A required privilege is not held by client' and then in the description for that second message I get this 'API: SetFileValidData File G:\mssql\logs\sqliosim.ldx'

I'm sysadmin on SQL Server and an Administrator on the box. I've given the SQL Server account permission for instant initialization. There was some reference to this permission in some of the reading I've done so far.

I can't figure out for the life of me what is going on. The funny thing is that I can run SQLIO against the same drive with no problems.

Does anyone have a clue that I can follow? I have run out of ideas. Is there an issue with Windows Server 2008 and SQLIOSIM, maybe?

Thank you for your help.

Willem

• My first thought is UAC in 2008. I'm not sure what app yo are running but if it has a GUI that you are trying to access you might want to right click in the icon and Run As Administrator and see if that gives yo anything better.

CEWII

• Elliot,

That did it! I'm not sure that I understand exactly how the UAC was causing problems but when I ran the application (or the command prompt) as Administrator, everything ran correctly and produced the results I was expecting. I'm sure that will hear and learn more about this issue and the workarounds and solutions for it in the coming months.

Thank you for a succinct and to-the-point solution.

Willem

• All I can say is User Access Control (UAC) in Windows 2008 (and Vista) just KILLS me I get way too many windows for it to provide me any real value.. But this is one of those things in 2008 and Vista that although you are an admin you login does not have that token unless you start the application that way.. Keep in mind that Visual Studio (BIDS for us SQL Folk) should be started as Admininistrator on a Server 2008 box when run either from the console or from remote desktop..

CEWII

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply