Is there any way to catch/handle an error from a remote procedure call?

• For example if i run this:

BEGIN TRY
    EXEC msdb.dbo.sp_help_job @job_name = 'foobar',@job_aspect = 'JOB'
    END TRY
    BEGIN CATCH
    PRINT 'something went wrong'
    END CATCH

Result:

something went wrong

But if i run this:

BEGIN TRY
    EXEC [mylinkedserver].msdb.dbo.sp_help_job @job_name = 'foobar',@job_aspect = 'JOB'
    END TRY
    BEGIN CATCH
    END CATCH

The statement fails and never hits the catch block. Since the procedures i'm calling are msdb system procedures i can't modify them.

Any thoughts on how to trap this error?

• This has to do with how SQL Server processes errors on remote procedure calls.  The error message bubbles up but not the actual exception, you could do something like this,

BEGIN TRY

DECLARE @output int
    EXEC @output = [mylinkedserver].msdb.dbo.sp_help_job @job_name = 'foobar',@job_aspect = 'JOB'
    IF @output != 0
    BEGIN
    THROW @output, 'REMOTE CALLS FAILED', 1
    END

END TRY
    BEGIN CATCH
    END CATCH
  • In the last paragraph of the article below, it says:

If a remote stored procedure calls RAISERROR with severity less than 20 and the remote stored procedure is scoped within a TRY block on the local server, RAISERROR does not cause control to pass to the CATCH block of the TRY…CATCH construct.

I bet there are few RAISERROR statements in that sp_help_job procedure.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/sql/sql-server-2008-r2/ms191515(v=sql.105)

--Vadim R.

• ZZartin wrote:

This has to do with how SQL Server processes errors on remote procedure calls.  The error message bubbles up but not the actual exception, you could do something like this,

BEGIN TRY

DECLARE @output int
    EXEC @output = [mylinkedserver].msdb.dbo.sp_help_job @job_name = 'foobar',@job_aspect = 'JOB'
    IF @output != 0
    BEGIN
    THROW @output, 'REMOTE CALLS FAILED', 1
    END

END TRY
    BEGIN CATCH
    END CATCH

Thanks this did hit the catch block but also still shows the error. Also i'm implementing it like this:

INSERT  INTO @jobInfo
    EXECUTE [mylinkedserver].msdb.dbo.sp_help_job @job_name = 'foobar',@job_aspect = 'JOB'

But i just realized i can simply query the sysjobs view and just check if it exists first. Sorry i don't know why i didn't think of that first.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply