Is there a way of populating a report before showing to the user?

• I'm nearly done with a SSRS report I've been working on. I've done several of these over the years and generally to the satisfaction of my users. I just showed the report to a colleague. He asked me a question I haven't thought of in many years. You know, when you go to a SSRS report on the report server/report manager, on the pagination through the report, on the first page, it will show something like this:

Normal SSRS Pagination

For many years I've seen this as normal. SSRS, when rendering a report, doesn't automatically calculate all pages. The first thing my colleague asked me was why not? He thought it was broken. Since I've been working with it like this for so long I no longer remember why SSRS does it this way.

So, that's the question to you all, why does SSRS do it this way?

Second question, is there some way of populating the report completely in the web interface for SSRS? (On the report server)

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• It is indeed possible to do that.  In a nutshell, you need to add the 'OverallTotalPages' built-in field to a header or footer on your report. There's more detail here.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by  Neil Burton.

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
    —Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply