Is RS 2019 compatible with MSSQL 2014?

• I have a 2014 installation of SQL Server on my home server. I've also installed Reporting Services 2019 to my workstation, but they're not communicating. I'm trying to rule out a compatibility issue, but can't find anything online that will tell me if RS 2019 works with MSSQL 2014.  RS is seeing the server properly, but not the database instance.

• Is there a reason you aren't installing SQL Server 2019 as the instance for SSRS 2019?

But as for compatability, I can't see why it wouldn't work.  What error are you getting?  You say that they are not "communicating" but you also say that SSRS is seeing the server properly.  This seems to be counter-intuitive to me.  If SSRS can see the server, they MUST be communicating.  If it can see the SQL instance, just not the database, chances are it is a permissions related issue.  If it can see the server but not the instance, I would expect either permissions (failing to login which should show up in your logs AND error message) OR firewall.

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

• Yes, it's usually best to use the latest software version. However, the only non-production server I have access to work with is an older Windows Server 2008 R2. Yes, out-of-date and obsolete on some levels, but for my purposes (intro training only) it's "good enough" at the moment. SQL Server 2019 was throwing errors indicating that it would not install on my 2008 server.

I agree with you that if SSRS can see the server, it is communicating correctly. However, it could not see (or would not list) the SQL Instance. I assumed it was permissions related as I had ruled out the firewall being the issue, but permissions appeared to be correct.

I was able to get around the issue by installing SSRS 2014. It listed the SQL Instance and connected instantly. I would assume that SSRS 2019 would be able to use a 2014 SQL database, so there must be some setting/permission that I'm not aware of.

Regardless, the issue has been resolved. Thanks for your earlier reply.

• Something to note - if you don't have a visual studio subscription, I am pretty sure that SSRS is going to require a license to use, as will SQL Server.  Not entirely sure if SQL Server Developer edition allows SSRS to be installed or not, but I expect so.

As for it not listing, I am not sure why that is.  It has been a while since I installed and configured SSRS , but I thought you could type in which server it connects to, not just pick from a dropdown.  From the configuration tool I know you need to match the version of that tool and the SSRS install or it won't see it, and a quick check on Microsoft's website states:

SQL Server Database Engine (2008 R3 SP3 or later), to store the report server database

(https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=100122)

So you SHOULD be able to install SSRS 2019 and connect it over to a SQL 2008 R3 SP3 or newer (although i think they meant to put R2 SP3 as I don't think SQL Server 2008 R3 is a real edition).

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

• I've installed the software as 180-day evaluation versions. After that, you are correct that a license will be required.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply