Is it possible to modify the connection strings with TFS?

• We currently use TFS 2015 for source control. (I'd love to move us up to 2018, but that's proving to be a LOT more difficult to get that accomplished). It is my habit to use shared data sources and data sets. Mainly, I hope, for things like this, so I can change the connection string somehow through some scripting. The only thing is, when it comes to SSRS, its more or less a black box to me. I know that the relevant files are written in XML, but I'm not sure where all of it is.

For example, in this case I've written a SSRS report that runs against an old MySQL database. In order to access it I'm using an ODBC connection. I've created two such connections; one for our UAT database and the other for the production database. I think that information is stored in the .rds file. But, when deploying to the production and test SSRS sites, how to I modify whatever needs to be modified, so that each will point to its proper ODBC/DSN connection?

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• Thanks for posting your issue and hopefully someone will answer soon.

This is an automated bump to increase visibility of your question.

• Best practice is to set up a shared data source which is external to the SSRS report.  In the UAT environment, the shared data source would be set up to connect to the UAT server; in the PROD environment, the shared data source would be set up to connect to the PROD server.  The connection information would not be stored in TFS at all.

Drew

J. Drew Allen
    Business Intelligence Analyst
    Philadelphia, PA

• I'm sorry, I wasn't clear. I'm not proposing storing the connection information in TFS. Rather I'm asking how can I switch which connection I use? Specifically, in this case, because I'm using a MySQL database, connectivity is in an ODBC connection. I've created two ODBC/DSN's - one for production, the other for UAT. During deployment (TFS's Release) I want the TFS Release environment to instruct the deployment to use the PROD DSN, and the TFS UAT environment to use the UAT DSN. How do I do that, in TFS 2015's Release?

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply