ipad or kindle

• I often found to read articles on line would be easier if I have an ipad or kindle.

I can move around with them instead of carrying around my heavy laptop.

If I would like to read articles online or for example browse the sql central forum or articles, which one would you recommend, using ipad or kindle?

I plan to buy one of them, but cannot decide which is better option?

Thanks

• sqlfriends (5/22/2011)

I often found to read articles on line would be easier if I have an ipad or kindle.

If I would like to read articles online or for example browse the sql central forum or articles, which one would you recommend, using ipad or kindle?

May I suggest a third option? Xoom!

Get Xoom, decline the phone plan and rely on wifi connectivity - if you are in a place where there is no wifi service just provide access via your cell phone.

Just my two cents.

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • sqlfriends (5/22/2011)

I often found to read articles on line would be easier if I have an ipad or kindle.

Thanks

I have Kindle,I know limit of of Browser,you can not open multiple window,page or site at one time in Browser.if you think this limitation is okay then you can go for Kindle.

I have kindle3. 6".but after buying this reading on Kindle is really good,but i think my screen is small .so better to go at larger one.(i.e. Kindle Dx).

• I bought a Kindle about two months ago because of the issues with backlit tablets interrupting melatonin production (i.e. interfering with sleep patterns). I wish it had a browser sometimes but it's not a huge deal for me...I enjoy reading on and am happy with the Kindle.

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

• kindle is very good - long battery life and easy to read.

I carry my work/docs on dvd, memorystick and portable hard drive

[font="Comic Sans MS"]The GrumpyOldDBA[/font]
    www.grumpyolddba.co.uk
    http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/

• I would go kindle if just reading books. Xoom would be my second choice.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• How about browsing website articles like msdn library of Sql servers, and this webiste of SQL server central.

Thanks

• sqlfriends (5/23/2011)

How about browsing website articles like msdn library of Sql servers, and this webiste of SQL server central.

Thanks

Xoom then Ipad

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• I have a kindle and I love it. As was said - battery life is literally weeks per charge. Very easy on the eyes as well. I use it just to read though.

If you really want to read articles on it, I'd copy the article into a .pdf or .doc and convert it to a .mobi.

If that's a pain, then might want to go for the tablet pc. Just for reading though - kindle all the way. Great for the beach.

• I went iPad.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• I have had a Kindle (gen 1) and an iPad. I think that reading online, AKA a browser, the iPad works better. Hadn't tried the Nook, but I'd consider that. The Kindle is excellent at reading books, not sure how much better it is for graphics/PDFs in the latest version, but in the original, it wasn't great.

If you are mostly text, Kindle for me. If it's online, I'd go iPad, but then again I don't want to mess with the conversion time. That time is worth the extra $$ to me.

• I buy 'em all. I've got a kindle, an ipad and I'll shortly have an Asus running Honeycomb.

Seriously though, the Kindle is excellent for reading and the battery life is insane. To me, that alone makes it the best choice. It's nice to have all the other stuff that the tablets provide, but they die very quickly so you have to have access to power, constantly. Kindle just lasts.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• For reading books and pure text? Kindle. For interactive web surfing? A tablet of some sort.

The only problem with my Kindles (I have two - both the DX and the regular sized on - I prefer the DX for technical books)? It's very hard to get an author to autograph it. 🙂

-Ki

• Kiara (5/24/2011)

For reading books and pure text? Kindle. For interactive web surfing? A tablet of some sort.

The only problem with my Kindles (I have two - both the DX and the regular sized on - I prefer the DX for technical books)? It's very hard to get an author to autograph it. 🙂

I'll autograph it, but you won't be happy with me afterwards!

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Grant Fritchey (5/24/2011)

Kiara (5/24/2011)

For reading books and pure text? Kindle. For interactive web surfing? A tablet of some sort.

I'll autograph it, but you won't be happy with me afterwards!

Hahahaha. Why did I expect that answer from you?

I went iPad. Wonderful piece of machine. The battery, although not lasting weeks, does last days. If I use MyPad(TM) for about 10h a day, then it seems to last about 2 days (20h or so). Course, I'm regularly at a power source each night, so I'm in the habit of recharging it daily. I do not have the power fears that i do using a laptop. It is great!

For an added bonus, I also use one of the many remote desktop apps, so while out and about, I can easily VPN/remote in to a clients system and handle something if I get an alert. My iPad goes with me everywhere. Disclaimer: I own Apple stock.

Jim Murphy
    http://www.sqlwatchmen.com
    @SQLMurph

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply