I/O Errors

• I am new to a job and have noticed the following in the server log, which is sometimes accompanied with the arrival of an email saying a deadlock was avoided, no user action is required.

"I/O is frozen on database xxxxxxx. No user action is required. However, if I/O is not resumed promptly, you could cancel the backup"

The server is SQL2014 running on windows server 2012 sp2 64 bit. There is nothing in the event log to suggest a problem and the backup referred to is a third party virtual machine backup process which occurs on an hourly basis. The I\O errors last for about 2 seconds.

The network manager says it has been like that since day 1 and not to worry about it, just to monitor the locks.

Is the network manager right or should I start arguing and if so what is my best tack?

• is this just for Database Backups?

If so are regular test restores done (and then checked using DBCC CHECKDB)? Is so then I wouldn't worry. If not I would try one as a "fire drill".

• happygeek (10/28/2015)

"I/O is frozen on database xxxxxxx. No user action is required. However, if I/O is not resumed promptly, you could cancel the backup"

That's not an error.

3rd party backup tools can take what are called 'snapshot' backups. What they do is copy the files, and to do that and have the backup be consistent, the IOs have to stop temporarily for the backup to complete. That is called 'freezing the IOs'.

The message indicates that a snapshot backup is running and the backup tool has asked SQL to temporarily stop the IOs so that it can 'snap' the backup in a consistent form. It's just an informational message.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • It is a server snapshot backup, there are no native SQL backups. To restore a database the solution is to restore the server to the last server snapshot, I am told not to change anything. If this is not an error then that is OK then!! Many thanks for the assurance and advice 🙂

• Wow, no database backups just a VM Snapshot? Whoever authorized that is living on the edge. I hope that the VM snapshot has been tested. We have used it here for app servers and it works fine...

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (10/28/2015)

hahahaha!!!

You just made my day 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply