Invalid column name error

• I am trying to delete duplicate rows, but I get an error message saying that 'RowNumber' is an invalid column even though I have that column (as an alias).  I tried running the SELECT and DELETE statement together and it still didn't work.

I know it doesn't exist in the base table because it is a calculated field, but I thought SQL should recognize it if I run the SELECT and DELETE statements together.

SELECT ord_no, purch_amt, ord_date, customer_id, salesman_id, row_number( ) OVER (PARTITION BY salesman_id ORDER BY salesman_id) as RowNumber  --partitioning happens first, then function is applied, then ORDER BY is applied
    FROM orders;

DELETE
    FROM orders
    WHERE RowNumber > 1;
  • You have 2 separate statements here - the second statement doesn't know anything about the first statement.

There are 2 ways to do this...use a CTE or a derived table:

--==== Common Table Expression
    With duplicateOrders
    As (
    Select ord_no
    , purch_amt
    , ord_date
    , customer_id
    , salesman_id
    , row_number() over(Partition By salesman_id Order By salesman_id) As RowNumber --partitioning happens first, then function is applied, then ORDER BY is applied
    From orders
    )
    Delete
    From duplicateOrders
    Where RowNumber > 1;

--==== Derived Table
    Delete do
    From (
    Select ord_no
    , purch_amt
    , ord_date
    , customer_id
    , salesman_id
    , row_number() over(Partition By salesman_id Order By salesman_id) As RowNumber --partitioning happens first, then function is applied, then ORDER BY is applied
    From orders
    ) As do
    Where RowNumber > 1;

To be safe - wrap the code in an explicit transaction and rollback to verify the results.

Begin Transaction;

--==== Common Table Expression
    With duplicateOrders
    As (
    Select ord_no
    , purch_amt
    , ord_date
    , customer_id
    , salesman_id
    From orders
    )
    Delete
    From duplicateOrders
    Where RowNumber > 1;

--==== Verify Results
    Select ord_no
    , purch_amt
    , ord_date
    , customer_id
    , salesman_id
    From orders;

--==== Rollback/Commit
    Rollback Transaction;
    --Commit Transaction; --uncomment this line, comment out the rollback to commit the changes after validation

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• The select statement and the delete statement are two different, separate statements. The delete statement won't have any knowledge of any aliases in the select statement. I am guessing you meant to do with with a CTE as the queries you have are often what you would see with deleting duplicates with a CTE. Try putting your first query in a CTE and then delete from the CTE where RowNumber > 1.  You have the right idea, you just need to utilize the CTE for this.

Sue

• This makes sense.  When using the DELETE statement usually there is nothing following the delete, however you have the alias of the derived table, after DELETE.  If I omit do after DELETE, it doesn't work, so it's necessary.

Why would this be necessary, when normally you wouldn't have anything after DELETE such as when you are deleting from a hard table?

• You need to alias after the delete to know where to delete from.

If you had a DELETE with multiple joins in the logic to only delete the right rows, you need to tell the delete which table it needs to remove the records from.

Its the same with the derived table, as the name of the derived table in Jeffery's code is aliased "do" it needs to know to delete from that particular derived query.

eg the below works

DELETE a 
    FROM
    TableA a
    INNER JOIN TableB b
    ON b.BId = a.BId

where as this wont as the engine doesn't know if to delete from TableA or TableB

DELETE 
    FROM
    TableA a
    INNER JOIN TableB b
    ON b.BId = a.BId
  • The select statement and the delete statement are two different, separate statements. The delete statement won't have any knowledge of any aliases in the select statement. I am guessing you meant to do with with a CTE as the queries you have are often what you would see with deleting duplicates with a CTE. Try putting your first query in a CTE and then delete from the CTE where RowNumber > 1.  You have the right idea, you just need to utilize the CTE for this.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply