Intermittent Connection Failures

• I have been receiving the below errors intermittently in my production load jobs on SQL 2005.  Since I cannot reproduce the problem manually, MS support has been no help.  I get these on average once per day, but at different times, different databases, and different work loads.  After about a day, some open SQL studio connections lose thier connections too.

Any help is appreciated.

Error Message: An OLE DB error has occurred. Error code: 0x80004005.

An OLE DB record is available. Source: "Microsoft SQL Native Client" Hresult: 0x80004005 Description: "Login timeout expired".

An OLE DB record is available. Source: "Microsoft SQL Native Client" Hresult: 0x80004005 Description: "Unable to complete login process due to delay in login response".

An OLE DB record is available. Source: "Microsoft SQL Native Client" Hresult: 0x80004005 Description: "TCP Provider: Timeout error [258]. ".

• One problem may be network connectivity.  We had a similar issue, but our network support people would not accept it was a network problem.

Eventually one of our guys wrote a simple program to do a PING of the SQL box from another box, running it every 30 seconds and logging the result.

Faced with a log of PING results that showed intermittent loss of connectivity to the SQL box, the network people had another look at their setup and found the cause.  Since then we have been OK.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

• Change connection string timeout from 30 to 120 and problem should go away.

• The connection is to SQL Server, which has two timeouts as options, CONNECT and GENERAL.  These both are set to zero right which I thought meant they shouldn't have timed out at all, correct?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply