intellisense

• Just been trying out the intellisense, and noticed something which in my opinion is rather poor. it may have been mentioned before...

create a table with say 3 columns. make 1 column an identity column

now write an insert into the table. why does the identity column show up as a possible field when listing the columns? if you chose that, the statement would fail.

also, i called a column Ident... and when i try and select the ident column i actually have to take more effort to get rid of the intellisense suggestions before i get my column name in.

am i just having a bad day and being overly critical?

• If you turn on identity insert, you can insert. Including the field is a safer approach than exlcuding it based on it being an identity column.

As far as the intellisense getting confused by the column name "Ident" - I would have to say you are being critical of the intellisense when you should be critical of your own column name choice.

The intellisense is far from perfect, but it is really there to help in 80-90% of the cases and may even hinder you in the other 10-20%. That always seems to be the case with intellisense-type software.

• I agree. It makes sense to offer the columns rather than trying to guess if you're excluding them.

I've found intellisense to work pretty well so far. I'm still more in love with Red Gate's SQL Prompt, but MS has done a pretty good job.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply