Installing SSAS in active/passive cluster

• I've got an active/passive SQL Server 2008 Enterprise cluster on Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise. I have SSIS installed on there as well but we've never used it and it isn't listed in the "Services and applications" of the cluster so my understanding is that it is not a clustered resource. We have the SSRS services on a separate server altogether. We now want to use SSIS and SSAS to supplement our reporting.

I'm fine with SSIS and SSAS not being clustered resources. It would be nice but it's not a must-have. Would I be better off to just put SSIS and SSAS on that same separate server as SSRS?

Also, did we make a mistake by going with active/passive instead of NLB on this cluster in the first place?

Apologies if some of my question's don't make perfect sense. My roles coverage is something like, IT Manager/Lead Developer/Database Administrator/Systems Architect/Systems Administrator/SharePoint Administrator/ERP Administrator/you-get-the-idea...I'm not complaining, but you might say I'm a generalist and not quite as specialized at SQL Server as I wish I had time for!

Thanks for your help!

• Hi,

There are tricks to setup SSIS as a clustered resource but it is not designed to be cluster-aware as SQL Server Database Engine or SSAS. But you can perfectly setup SSAS as a clustered OLAP engine, although personnaly I would setup a dedicated cluster for SSAS purposes, because it uses resources in a very different way (not so much IOs, rather CPU + memory consumers).

Also, NLB is not designed to run a clustered SQL Server instance, it is a HTTP load-balancer. A clustered SQL Server is necessarily in an active-passive cluster, meaning you can't give read/write access to the same data file between two instances each on a separate node, and you can't balance your users on different SQL Server instances. You would need a clustered filesystem to do that.

David B.

• a link on how to make SSIS 'cluster aware'

http://dougbert.com/blogs/dougbert/archive/2009/04/09/ssis-and-clustering-what-you-should-do-instead.aspx

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• According to the SQL Server 2008 Clustering Whitepaper, adding SSAS to a failover cluster is not supported. I'm disappointed but like I said, I can install it on separate server (which also has SSRS on it). I think I'll be upgrading our cluster this Winter to R2 anyway and that will hopefully be my chance to get SSAS on the cluster. I can live without it until then. If necessary I could schedule a whole Saturday of downtime and install fresh.

Thanks for the quick responses, much appreciated as always.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply