Installing SQL 2005 Standard w/SP3 on Windows 7 Ultimate

• Hi All,

I installed SQL 2005 Standard (32) as a named instance (sql2005) on Windows 7 32 bit. Install went fine. I added SP 3 which aslo went fine until almost completed.

I received the pop-up dialog that said my logon "would not be automatically added to SysAdmins in SQL". (I am a local machine admin on the box).

I selected the option to add my as a SQL Admin, clicked next, the install completed and now I can not attach to the server. I have also tried using the Domain Service Account that the server is running under 🙁

How do I get myself back on the sql instance ?

• Ray i had the same thing happen; locked out of a new install.

the fix is to add yourself as an administrator; you should be able to find the SQL 2005 Surface Configuration; there's a link/button to add an administrator;

add yourself and you are back in business;

I think the removal of a lot of security stuff in win 7 by default kills you when you are not used to it.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Thanks Lowell, that is a good one to know.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Lowell (5/3/2010)

Ray i had the same thing happen; locked out of a new install.

the fix is to add yourself as an administrator; you should be able to find the SQL 2005 Surface Configuration; there's a link/button to add an administrator;

add yourself and you are back in business;

I think the removal of a lot of security stuff in win 7 by default kills you when you are not used to it.

Thanks Lowell,

It is trivially easy when you know how 🙂 Perhaps now I can avoid the same mistake when I install my test SQL 2008 instance.

• yeah it's so easy once you've discovered ti you want to kick yourself... I found out the hard waywhen i bought a new laptop and installed both SQL 2005 and SQL 2008 on it;

first thing i did after adding myself back in on my laptop was to change the sa password to something known to me; then i had two ways to get in again.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply