Installing Multiple Instance SSAS on a cluster

• Hi All,

Just thought I would post to see if anyone has any nuggets of wisdom or good links for installing SSAS on a cluster?

The setup I will have 2 is physical servers running Windows 2008 Server Enterprise Edition, the servers will run in a active \ active configuration with one virtual machine hosting a single SQL 2008 R2 Database Engine instance with node A as Active and Node B as passive.

The Second virtual machine will host 2 SQL 2008 R2 SSAS Instances (no sql engine here). Both instances will obvously run within the same active node (B) with Node A as passive.

All the information I can find out there seems to be SQL Server 2005 specific.

I'm pretty familar with clustering especially for the core engine or if you have everything in the one virtual machine i.e. Engine + SSIS + SSRS etc. What I'm not familiar with is installing SSAS on its own.

I should mention that this design is what I have been asked to setup and not my own design although I am currently documenting it all prior to installation.

Any help \ wisdom appreciated.

MCITP SQL 2005, MCSA SQL 2012

• We run a lot of clustered instances and virtual servers, though with Database Engine and Reporting Services mainly. I'm willing to share what I have learnt relating to Reporting Services which may also apply to Analysis Services.

First, can you clarify your hardware setup.... I'm confused about what you're running on physical and what is on virtual. Also, when you say physical, do you mean physical servers running SQL Server, or are they hosts for VMs?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply