Installed SQL Server 2017 Developer. What 2 Do w/PREVIOUS SQL Server Editions?

• I've just installed SQL Server 2017 Developer on my personal laptop. I previously had SQL Server 2016 on the laptop, and before that, SQL Server 2014, and possibly even SQL Server 2012 (I'm not in front of the laptop right now, so I'm not 100% certain about SQL Server 2012 having been installed on it years ago).

My intent is to now use SQL Server 2017 Developer Edition exclusively, and I don't really want the previous versions (or any remnants of the previous versions) to remain on my laptop if none of those previous versions need to remain on the laptop.

Is it safe to just go to Control Panel and find/uninstall anything related to SQL Server that doesn't show as SQL Server 2017 Developer, or is this a poor idea?

Thanks for any recommendations you may have.

• It is "safe". However, sometimes, I have had issues uninstalling older versions. 99% of the time, it'll just uninstall and you'll be good. Go for it. Just... if you hit the 1%, make sure you have backups of anything important.

Also, I heavily favor running SQL Server instances on VMs on my lap top so that I can, when necessary, rebuild the VM rather than rebuild the laptop. I only run tools and containers native on the laptop and I minimize those.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• I agree with Grant, but one thing I'd suggest is take a backup of all databases on the previous instance and restore them on the new one (or use dbatools Copy-DbaDatabase https://docs.dbatools.io/#Copy-DbaDatabase) to move them to the new instance. Verify they work, that your logins, linked servers, etc. aren't a problem. In the process now of doing that with my 2014 instance and decommissioning it.

I forgot this when I stopped using 2012 and while I do have the .mdf files, I wish I'd been more organized and decided which ones to move and to abandon.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply