Installation of reporting services

• Hi,

I'm having some doubts on where to install reporting services. The reporting db (SQL Server 2008) server is heavily used for staging, processing and reporting and cubes are to be deployed. The db server is the corp reporting server.

To me it seems like reporting services is more an app server than a db server installation. Reporting services will be used for Team Foundation Server but may extend to be used for other purposes as well. Databases and cubes will however be hosted on the db server.

Anyone have any comments or suggestions to if reporting services is best installed on the db server or on of our app servers?

Thanks!

/K

• I have always installed it with the other components of SQL Server (SSMS, SSAS, & SSIS) and seen no problems. But it ultimately depends on your hardware specs and your application, etc that you are using.... Also if you are in a dev environment, you can give it a shot and see how the performance is and switch it up if its not to your liking. Perhaps giving some performance stats could help with the decision ?

• Ideally SSRS would sit on a separate server, but this means an additional license is required - the cost factor may make the decision for you.

If you install on the same server, you will definitely want to look into SSRS memory management (eg http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms159206.aspx) and ensure that you have enough resource.

• Thank you very much for both replies... exactly what I needed to know.

I managed to be persuasive enough to keep it off the prod server for now and a test is in progress. We'll probably be putting it on a separate server.

The licensing issue though; Why do I need another license? Reporting services will only be installed on "the other" machine.

• Look at the second link in http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/joew/archive/2009/02/17/60844.aspx. The BI components are covered specifically on page 4.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply