Install Problems

• SQL Server 2000 won't install on my machine. It aborts telling me, "Setup cannot continue because a file that needs to be copied is currently in use. Shut down other active processes. This error can also occur if virus-checking program is being used." I am not running any virus protection as yet and have shut down all processes possible. I still get this error. There is no indication which file or process is contributing to this error. I have checked the sqlstp.log file and the problem occurs somewhere around the HTML help installation. I've checked MS's troubleshooting page and followed their recommendations to no avail!

Has anyone had this problem installing before? Can you direct me to some documentation that will help me resolve this problem?

Thanks in advance!

• I havent had any problems with installing. Is it a clean install or upgrade? Your best bet is to just stop every service you can and unload apps until you get it. I'd say look for anything that uses the MDAC.

Andy

• It is a clean install.

The only services I cannot stop are: 1) Windows Management Instrumentation Driver Extensions, 2) Security Accounts Manager, 3) Remote Procedure Call, 4) Plug and Play, and 5) Event Log. Attempts to stop number 1 above produce a dialog box which says, "Could not stop the Windows Management Instrumentation Driver Extensions service on Local Computer. The service did not return an error. This could be an internal Windows error or an internal service error. If the problem persists, contact your system administrator." All other services listed above do not offer the stop option using the context menu popup (right mouse button on highlighted service). Are you aware of any of these services that use MDAC?

Update: After all this, I ran the installation again. It appears from the sqlstp.log file that the installation bailed during the following:

08:28:45 Enabled CORECOMPONENTHANDLING

08:28:45 ComponentMoveData exit code: -623

08:28:56 Setup cannot continue because a file that needs to be copied is currently in use. Shut down other active processes. This error can also occur if virus-checking program is being used.

08:28:56 Action CleanUpInstall:

08:28:56 StatsGenerate returned: 2

08:28:56 StatsGenerate (0x0,0x1,0xf0000000,0x200,1033,303,0x0,0x1,0,0,0

08:28:56 StatsGenerate -1,Administrator)

08:28:56 Installation Failed.

The last thing the installer was attempting was HTML Help.

I can't seem to find the file that it claims is currently in use!

• You sure it's not a server based virus scan running? Or someone accessing something via the network? How about logging in locally to the machine to try the install? Might try pulling the network cable too. Another idea would be download the trial version of FileMon (Winternals.com I think) so you can see each file that is accessed.

Andy

• No, I'm not sure it is a server-based virus scan running. I'm not sure how to find out either. I know noone is accessing the machine from the network (at this point in time, no one knows the IP address unless someone is just scanning IP addresses and got mine!). I have been logged in on the machine directly (locally) as administrator to do the installation.

Thank you for the suggestion of FileMon. I hadn't thought of that yet; it is definitely something I will try next.

By the way, I had a collegue try installing it on a server he manages and he got the same error message; odd that two servers would give the same message. The odds that these two servers are configured exactly the same are extremely high as we use them for different functions. I can't imagine that W2K Server would be the cause. Would there be any understanding I could gain by trying an installation on an NT4 box?

Joe

• I haven't seen this with SQL. I've installed dozens of workstations and servers, all W2K, no issues. This is usually one of the cleanest installs I have seen.

I would dbl check that the IIS services are shut down. Do you get a dialog during the install that wants to shut down services? Perhaps some of these are set to restart and they restart during the install.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• This is my first attempt/experience with SQL and I'm baffled!

I have gotten dialogs that install wants to shut down services, the first time was with media services and I disabled all of them. The second one was shut down by the installer and I didn't get the name of it. Funny thing, the service names and the process name of those services appear to be two different animals so it is difficult to know which process is running which service.

However, I have checked that IIS services are set to 'run a file' which is iisreset.exe ! However, the last time I tried installing, I had all services disabled. This shouldn't have been an issue. The only processes running were those REQUIRED to boot the system, etc. This is what has me puzzled. How can the installer need a file that is being used when the only processes running are those that got the system booted (there were only about 6 of them running). This suggests to me that the installer needed a system file which doesn't make sense to me.

I really don't feel like paying MS hundreds of dollars to figure this out. I've paid them enough already, but that is another issue!

• I fyou change the IIS service to not run the file does it work? I think that you disable te service, start the install and IISReset restarts IIS which can interfere with the install.

If that doesn't work, then can you install on a fresh server? Maybe even install a second copy of W2K on the server temporarily (in a new foldeR) and see if it works?

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• This should not be the issue here since after initially receiving the error dialog box, I disabled the service (and indeed every other service that I could).

The machine in question has been upgraded from Windows NT 4.0 SP6a to Windows 2000 Server. Having had troubles with other software (most notably the SR1a upgrade for Office 2000 Professional), I have performed a complete reformat and reinstallation. This did not help the other problems. I recently found out that for upgrades, certain files were not placed in the WINNT folder that were required and have been wondering lately if this could be a problem with the SQL Server installation?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Joe

• Joe,

We have done numerous upgrades from WinNT 4.0 to Windows 2K and subsequent SQL Server installs following that with no problems. So, I don't believe that to be the issue.

You mentioned that you started fresh with a new install "complete reformat and reinstallation", did that change your results any with the SQL installation or is the error the same?

David

@SQLTentmaker

“He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose” - Jim Elliot

• The same. It always comes down to a dialog box saying that a file needing to be copied by the installer is currently in use. This cryptic error does not say which file is in use so I can at least check the permissions to see if that may be the problem. Is there a way to find out which file the installer is referring to?

Good to know that upgrading is not the potential culprit! Thanks for clearing that possibility out of the way!

• Joe,

Does the account that is logged on to the Server you are installing SQL 2K on have Local Admin or Domain Admin privileges? This may sound like a dumb question but, to end up with the same problem each time leads me to believe that this is a security rights problem and not an install problem. Let me know. Thanks.

David

David

@SQLTentmaker

“He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose” - Jim Elliot

• David,

If I read your question correctly, this machine is a standalone server and not a member of a domain since it is functionally independent.

I had wondered the same thing about the security issue, but I am logged in as administrator, so I can't get any higher clearance than that,..., or can I?!?

Joe

• Joe,

I haven't seen this at all with SQL. It is either a bug or something obscure that you are doing. Are you accepting the default file locations? Are you sure this is the first instance of SQL? You can install this product mutliple times and if you are installing a second instance in the same folder as the first, this might occur.

Other than that, I think you may need to call MS. If it's a bug, there should be no charge.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• I am not accepting the default file locations. This machine has 3 drives, one for OS, one for programs, and the last for data. I figured long and hard about placing the server program files on the drive for programs, but since this is a web server as well, I wanted to isolate data files from OS and program files for security concerns/considerations.

This is the first instance of SQL on this machine. There have been multiple attempts to install it and I noticed that it is listed under Start | Programs | Microsoft SQL Server with the Client Network Utility installed, but that is all. I think that when I was going through Microsoft's Troubleshooter on their website, that the troubleshooter suggested that I load the Connectivity and Client Tools as part of the troubleshooting process. However, when it all came down to the end, the troubleshooter said that it could not solve the installation problem and suggested that I call product support. Doing so, I talked with a tech person who informed me that I would have to pay $245 to get the problem resolved; reasoning is (I guess) that MS considers SQL 2K a top end product and that since there are a multitude of configurations possible, and each machine could be different, that installation problems don't fall under their "normal" no-fee program installation support. In other words, I was basically being told to pay or hang up the phone! The people I work for are not (or up to this point, have not been) willing to pay more for getting it installed; for them, it's a matter of principle (if you buy a product, it should install, or installation support should be available for unusual situations/problems). I've been left to figure the thing out for myself (or, with the help of good people like yourself).

I just wish I could determine if the problem is a legitimate bug or not. Then I would have some amunition to work with!

Should I uninstall what has already been installed and try again (I suspect this will only produce the same error as before, but who knows)? As I stated early on, I even went to the trouble of disabling EVERY service in W2K before trying the installation. That brought on its own set of problems when I tried rebooting. I was forced to boot into safe mode and running the security console script to reconfigure the machine as it had been before ever trying this installation in the first place. I just thank my lucky stars that I had had the forsight to produce the security configuration (although I didn't know it at the time). Otherwise, I'd be doing another complete reformat/reinstallation of everything on the box. I hadn't made an ERD yet, waiting until I got everything installed and running. I guess there's a lesson in this, eh?

Thank you,

Joe

Joe

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply