Install of SQL2012 RC0 giving trouble

• Hi,

I downloaded SQL 2012 RC0 (32 bit version) and trying to install it on my laptop (Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 x86), but I'm getting an error message that's not too helpful. The message box says in its caption "Unloading the Box" and the message text is "An Error was encountered. Unspecified Error".

I looked through the Windows logs and can't find anything that would give me a clue as to what's wrong. I ran the installer as Administrator as well as under my own account btw.

As an aside, I had SQL 2008 R2 installed before, uninstalled it and rebooted.

Has anyone else had this problem? Maybe it is just a bad image of the installation packages?

Thanks in advance,

Jan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• Usually there's also a log for the set-up. Was that already created?

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Thanks Koen. I didn't see a log file, but then again I didn't really do a thorough search either. I will have a look tonight (laptop is at home) and then report back.

In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• The issue was actually a very simple one. If one runs SQLFULL_x86_ENU_Install.exe, all it does is extract the files from the .box files. Stupidly I ran that one from my USB stick which ran out of space halfway through :blush:

I do however sincerely hope that this "installer" will not be the Release Candidate that makes it into the final shipping product 😉

• Jan Van der Eecken (3/7/2012)

The issue was actually a very simple one. If one runs SQLFULL_x86_ENU_Install.exe, all it does is extract the files from the .box files. Stupidly I ran that one from my USB stick which ran out of space halfway through :blush:

I do however sincerely hope that this "installer" will not be the Release Candidate that makes it into the final shipping product 😉

😀

Glad that you found the issue. This is the kind of thing that can make you bang your head against the wall after a couple of hours...

• LOL. Luckily I refrained from doing that, it was too late at night.

Anyhow, install is running now for the second time tonight. Ran into another issue though. When it asked me for accounts for the Distributed Replay Controller (what the heck is that) I added the current user, and the install died on me with some error saying it could not verify the account, so started from scratch again. This time I told it to install SSRS only without auto-configuring it, and did not add the current account to that Distributed Replay Controller, so I got one step further. On the next screen it asks one for a controller name, so, not knowing what to do I entered "DUNNO", fully expecting it to die on me again :w00t: To my surprise it just continued merrily. And Tada!!! It just finished successfully. Now see if the server comes up properly after the reboot it threatened me with.

Will report back what the result was.

• I also had the issue with distributed replay controller with RC0.

• Good to know that I'm not the only one.

Anyhow, my machine came up after the re-boot, SSMS nicely connects to the local server as well as to a 2008R2 instance on the VPN, so I'm happy. Just need to get used to the new Visual Studio 2010 look-and-feel of SSMS. Have you seen Visual Studio 11 Beta yet? How horrible. I hope they don't carry that through to SSMS for SQL 12!

Now off to bed, enough for one evening. Maybe I'll dream up some cool stuff that I could try to start playing with tomorrow.

• Nope, I haven't seen VS 11 beta yet. Now I'm not really sure if I want to 🙂

• I had the same problem with the DRC - I think it was because the user I added wasn't an AD user, just a local login.

Solution was to leave it blank & then add the user once install was complete.

Issue appears to have fixed in the RTM version.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply