install of editions in same server

• Hi

If we are installing multiple editions of Sql server in the same server, is it ok to install them in one folder or different folders, ie, Sql server standard edition in one sub folder, express edition in another sub folder VS all editions in the same sub folder. I think the former will help with ease of maintenance or upgrades.  Thoughts?

Thanks

Ram

• Might be a dumb question but why would you want to install different editions of SQL Server on the same physical machine?

I would recommend having a different folder for each SQL Instance to reduce problems with upgrades and file locking, but I expect this is already a requirement.

As for maintenance and upgrades, I don't think it matters where you put them as all of the relevant information per instance is stored in the registry.  When you install an upgrade it is installed per instance, not per edition or per folder or anything.

The only thing having it in different folders does is making it easier to find things later, but again, as each instance should be in its own folder, this should already be covered.

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply