Install Developer edition on Vista

• Hi all,

I can't seem to get SQL 2005 Developer edition CD to install on my Vista business machine.

Has anyone got it to work?

Thanks  

• I've got it running on home premium. The trick is to be on SP 2 and to configure the security settings properly (surface area configuration | add new administrator).

• From the FAQ @ Microsoft confirming Pam's point:

What release of SQL Server 2005 will run on Windows Vista?
    A.

SQL Server 2005 Express Edition with Service Pack 1 will run on Windows Vista but has known issues with User Access Control. For all other editions of SQL Server 2005, Service Pack 2 will be required for Windows Vista and Windows Server "Longhorn" support when those products are released.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Pam, thanks I have a CD I just bought from Amazon with SQL 2005 Deveoper edition, but it is sp1,

I can't get it installed , so I can't then update to sp2,

how did you deal with it.

Thanks 

• When I did the install (I think it wasn't even SP1), I got warning messages and I just said run anyway. Then I immediately ran Windows updater which got the updates / SP's for both SS2K5 and VS.

I did make sure to tell the install *not* to start up SS after the install and put all services to manual start.

• Thans Pam I'll try again tonight

• i have it running on Vista Business. you install it, then install SP2. MS says that it won't work on Vista unless you have SP2

• If you aleady have SQL express 2005 sp2 installed on the vista machine. does it conflict?

Thanks

• i think it's going to create a separate instance which will use up more resources. if you want a local db service on your PC i would suggest uninstalling SQL 2005 Express and installing the Dev edition with the database services

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply