Insert Into problems

• Hugo Kornelis (11/29/2011)

Here's the way I write INSERT statements, to make it easier to say which expression in the SELECT list matches which column in the INSERT list:

INSERT INTO #ATable

(col1, col2, col3)

SELECT 2, 1, 3;

(Where I change the column positions based on the length of the column names and expressions in the SELECT list).

I usually limit myself to three columns per line, because I don't like to scroll horizontally. So when there's a long column list, I use this style:

INSERT INTO #BTable

(col1, col2, col3,

col4, col5, col6,

col7, col8)

SELECT 2, 1, 3,

4, 5, 6,

7, 8;

I prefer this method as well. It makes it easier for the next person, or myself, to maintain the code. I work with a programmer that runs the query text out past the edge of a reasonable editor and uses all lower case. That makes it very hard to read.

To the OP: Thanks for the question! It was easy, but a good question.

[font="Verdana"]Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.[/font]
    Connect to me on LinkedIn

• I put to much though into that one at first because I though it was going to be a collate issue with the INT vs int.

In the end, nice and simple question.

• What he said.

Making it obvious what's going where is, IMHO, really important. Similarly, I try hard to avoid scrolling past 80 characters (as that seems to be a default for things like command line editing on Unix).

Thomas Abraham (11/29/2011)

Hugo Kornelis (11/29/2011)

Here's the way I write INSERT statements, to make it easier to say which expression in the SELECT list matches which column in the INSERT list:

INSERT INTO #ATable

(col1, col2, col3)

SELECT 2, 1, 3;

(Where I change the column positions based on the length of the column names and expressions in the SELECT list).

I usually limit myself to three columns per line, because I don't like to scroll horizontally. So when there's a long column list, I use this style:

INSERT INTO #BTable

(col1, col2, col3,

col4, col5, col6,

col7, col8)

SELECT 2, 1, 3,

4, 5, 6,

7, 8;

I prefer this method as well. It makes it easier for the next person, or myself, to maintain the code. I work with a programmer that runs the query text out past the edge of a reasonable editor and uses all lower case. That makes it very hard to read.

To the OP: Thanks for the question! It was easy, but a good question.

• Good question.

It caught me, although it most certainly shouldn't have :blush:. Guess I shouldn't try to understand SQL until the hangover subsides :doze:

Tom

• @Tol, I like her even better that way 😀

• Hugo Kornelis (11/29/2011)

INSERT INTO #ATable

(col1, col2, col3)

SELECT 2, 1, 3;

INSERT INTO #BTable

(col1, col2, col3,

col4, col5, col6,

col7, col8)

SELECT 2, 1, 3,

4, 5, 6,

7, 8;

That's a great advice. In my day job, I can see, in many codes, a long list of columns without proper formatting and it gets harder and harder to read once the table's structure changes and you need to update code.

I usually code my INSERTs like this whenever possible:

INSERT INTO #ATable

(

Col1,

Col2,

Col3

)

VALUES

(

2 AS Col1,

1 AS Col2,

3 AS Col3

);

I'm not sure if it's a good way of doing it but it looks clear to me. 🙂

Best regards,

Best regards,

Andre Guerreiro Neto

Database Analyst
    http://www.softplan.com.br
    MCITPx1/MCTSx2/MCSE/MCSA

• codebyo (11/29/2011)

I usually code my INSERTs like this whenever possible:

INSERT INTO #ATable

(

Col1,

Col2,

Col3

)

VALUES

(

2 AS Col1,

1 AS Col2,

3 AS Col3

);

I'm not sure if it's a good way of doing it but it looks clear to me. 🙂

I'm not really too fond about the aliases; I think it'd be better to use comments - as that is the only function the alias serves anyway.

Other than that, this method is fine - as long as the comments and the actual columns match up. But what happens if a change is made somewhere and the comments are not updated? If that happens a few time, developers will end up ignoring the column names in the comments (or aliases), as they know that those aren't always reliable - and than it's back to counting the 23rd column name from the list. :crying:

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server/Data Platform MVP (2006-2016)
    Visit my SQL Server blog: https://sqlserverfast.com/blog/
    SQL Server Execution Plan Reference: https://sqlserverfast.com/epr/

• Thanks for the comments, Hugo.

I will keep that in mind. 🙂

We have a lot denormalized tables with 100+ columns and it's a major pain to maintain their DML.

Best regards,

Best regards,

Andre Guerreiro Neto

Database Analyst
    http://www.softplan.com.br
    MCITPx1/MCTSx2/MCSE/MCSA

• thanks for the questions

• Thanks for the question -- it was a really easy one!

• I too was looking for a catch. Good back to basics question. Thanks!

• Good question. Something like this can trip anyone up. I'm sorry that it took a few hours to recognize the mistake, but we have all been there at some point. I can recall pouring over code only to find a colon where a semi-colon was required.

Thanks,

Matt

• Thanks for the question HESPO, good to see you again.

--TPET

• Thank you for the question

Iulian

• Thank you all, for the nice words.

A special "thank you" goes to Hugo, for the suggestion for formatting the fields in 3 columns, or how-ever many columns that fit onto one screen.

Best regards,

Henrik

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply