Index rebuild maintenance plan

• Hi,

when we execute maintenance plan for index rebuild, does SQL server rebuild indexes in any order.? is it select the tables by alphabetically.?

Thanks,

Murali

• Skip maintenance plans for index rebuilds. Use this http://ola.hallengren.com/sql-server-index-and-statistics-maintenance.html.

• Sarah Wagner (6/30/2014)

Skip maintenance plans for index rebuilds. Use this http://ola.hallengren.com/sql-server-index-and-statistics-maintenance.html.

+1000000 for Ola's stuff. NEVER EVER use maintenance plans, ESPECIALLY for index maintenance!!!!!

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

• Please refrain from the use of maintenance plans.

I would recommend the defrag script by Michelle Ufford way before any others offered on the internet based on experience and client experience with the others.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (6/30/2014)

I would recommend the defrag script by Michelle Ufford way before any others offered on the internet based on experience and client experience with the others.

I would love to have a conversation with you about issues others have had with Ola's index maintenance stuff the next time we meet up!

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012

• TheSQLGuru (7/1/2014)

SQLRNNR (6/30/2014)

I would love to have a conversation with you about issues others have had with Ola's index maintenance stuff the next time we meet up!

NP

Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (7/1/2014)

TheSQLGuru (7/1/2014)

SQLRNNR (6/30/2014)

NP

Why not just post the issues with Ola's index maintenance??

• Why not just post the issues with Ola's index maintenance??

1) That would lead to a hijacking of this thread.

2) I want to find out privately what the issues were and if they might have been a result of poor/improper usage of the scripts/jobs. Whether they were or weren't I want to relay those issues to Ola do work with him to find out why they are happening and come up with fixes to resolve them. I would also encourage him to post about the issues on his site and perhaps even email known users if the problem(s) were severe enough.

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012

• Zubius (7/1/2014)

SQLRNNR (7/1/2014)

TheSQLGuru (7/1/2014)

SQLRNNR (6/30/2014)

NP

Not the proper place for it. For issues with Ola's routine, they should be sent to him. I know of a few that have been sent to him. For the others on the internet that can be downloaded, the same thing should be done.

But out of the box, Michelle's works better. The point is, there are choices and some of those choices are better than others.

In the end, the best recommendation I have is that people should write their own. I roll my own to my clients but I also don't offer it for download. If you want to get a better understanding of how it is working and what will work best for your environment, then you really should be developing your own set of maintenance scripts.

Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (7/1/2014)

Zubius (7/1/2014)

SQLRNNR (7/1/2014)

TheSQLGuru (7/1/2014)

SQLRNNR (6/30/2014)

NP

Not the proper place for it. For issues with Ola's routine, they should be sent to him. I know of a few that have been sent to him. For the others on the internet that can be downloaded, the same thing should be done.

But out of the box, Michelle's works better. The point is, there are choices and some of those choices are better than others.

In the end, the best recommendation I have is that people should write their own. I roll my own to my clients but I also don't offer it for download. If you want to get a better understanding of how it is working and what will work best for your environment, then you really should be developing your own set of maintenance scripts.

Fair enough, Thanks. And, sorry for going off topic. 🙁

• Thanks to All..!

Sure, I will go through the blogs/scripts.

But I am curious to know SQL Server internals how SQL server pick the tables, will it choose the tables randomly or follow any sequence

Thanks,

Murali

• @Murali (7/1/2014)

Thanks to All..!

Sure, I will go through the blogs/scripts.

But I am curious to know SQL Server internals how SQL server pick the tables, will it choose the tables randomly or follow any sequence

Thanks,

Murali

1) I want to know why it matters to you

2) I believe you can script out the plan or view it in SSIS and see what it calls. You may also be able to capture activity using profiler.

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply