Increasing the Accuracy of Data We Rely On

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Increasing the Accuracy of Data We Rely On

• I'm sad to say that in my last two positions the accuracy of data was of far less important than the presence and availability of the data.  I've commented several times regarding the problem of getting bug fixes released to production systems, to the point I'm sure you are all weary of hearing that.

In one position as a DBA it was dictated by the company that technical design data be allowed into the IT systems without strict validation of the data being entered, which consisted of a host of design dimensions.  The result was that design technicians ended up having to make corrections to illogical data instead of enforcing the entry of logical and reasonable values by those actually making the measurements.  Many design objects even had 'standard' dimensions that could be checked and validated and other dimensions such as physical distances from other objects had to be allowed even if logically they were off by hundreds of feet or positions were entirely illogical.

I've always been of the opposite persuasion that no data is better than invalid data because then someone has to check the reality.

Rick
    Disaster Recovery = Backup ( Backup ( Your Backup ) )

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply