In Memorium

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item In Memorium

• Thank you for bringing up suicide awareness in your post.  I have personally struggled with suicidal thoughts, and I have lost multiple friends to suicide.  I was at a suicide awareness walk on Sunday, and it shocked me just how many people came out to support us.  I wish I had grown up knowing the resources that were available to me, but at least I learned before it was too late.  Some people don't have that luxury, because we still don't talk about it enough, even though the suicide rate has risen to a 30-year high.  We stigmatize depression and other mental illnesses so that people are afraid to ask for help, and then we wonder why someone would take such a drastic measure.

If anyone out there is struggling, please reach out.  You might have an employee assistance program like I had that can help you find help.  If you don't, google for counselors in your area.  If you're seriously considering suicide, please go to the ER.  You don't have to feel like this.  There is help.  There are people who understand what you're going through and know how to help.

• Thanks for the post Steve, really hits home today for me.  Today would have been my dad's 74 birthday. He passed away in July of 2017 from leukemia.  He wasn't in IT but he did always try to have a good work/life balance later in life.  When I was young he would some times be gone all week or several weeks at a time for his job. He did work up until he was close to 69, then gone before he turned 73.  Not quite 4 years of retirement doesn't seem like enough.

It's also close to the 3 years now that I lost a college to a hart attack, I believe he was only 56.  He worked a lot, always coming in at odd hours of the night because he couldn't sleep. 

I try and remind myself of how precious and short life is everyday.  Remember those we've lost, and let their family and friends know they are missed and that you are there for them.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    we travel not to escape life but for life not to escape us
    Don't fear failure, fear regret.

• Thanks Steve. I'm sorry for your losses.

• 2004 was a lousy year for my wife and me. We lost a friend to breast cancer, and three former co-workers from the following: car wreck, brain cancer, heart attack. The one who died from the heart attack was 6 weeks younger than me. But now, many are retired and just a month ago, one former co-worker passed away after an extensive period from a stroke. It's getting to where I need to check the daily obituaries.

• Very good article, Steve. It is tough when people take their lives. I suppose we've all experienced the loss of someone you knew, who decided life was too hard. I've struggled with depression myself, so I never think that anyone who takes their life wasn't tough enough or anything else like that. Those of us who have a "sunny" disposition, I envy.

I hope that none of you will be offended by me taking some time and mention that I'm seeking donations for men's health issues, for prostate cancer, testicular cancer, mental health and suicide prevention. Men die on average 6 years earlier than women. But together we can change that. Donate via myMo Space, here: https://mobro.co/rodfalanga - for all the dads, brothers, sons and mates in your life. Stop men dying too young. (I get nothing out of this. I'd rather all of funds raised go to seeking treatment for men's health issues.)

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• Nice article, Steve.  A Facebook memory popped up this morning of a friend and I, to celebrate our Facebook friendship 8 years in the making.  We've been friends since 1985 in reality.  She lost her 22 year old son to suicide earlier this year, and it has been rough.  She tried to help him, could see the progression of agitation and isolation and tried to reach out to agencies and authorities but her hands were tied because he was over 21. He had to WANT to seek help... Absolutely heartbreaking.  And as my number of age increases, so do the losses.  I am sorry for yours.  Hope the thought of them brings a smile through the heaviness of their absence. 

Best Regards
    Paula Reinero-Eirich

• hammackk - Tuesday, November 6, 2018 6:48 AM

Thank you for bringing up suicide awareness in your post.  I have personally struggled with suicidal thoughts, and I have lost multiple friends to suicide.  I was at a suicide awareness walk on Sunday, and it shocked me just how many people came out to support us.  I wish I had grown up knowing the resources that were available to me, but at least I learned before it was too late.  Some people don't have that luxury, because we still don't talk about it enough, even though the suicide rate has risen to a 30-year high.  We stigmatize depression and other mental illnesses so that people are afraid to ask for help, and then we wonder why someone would take such a drastic measure.

If anyone out there is struggling, please reach out.  You might have an employee assistance program like I had that can help you find help.  If you don't, google for counselors in your area.  If you're seriously considering suicide, please go to the ER.  You don't have to feel like this.  There is help.  There are people who understand what you're going through and know how to help.

Please remember this and remind people.Don't stigmatize them, and don't be afraid to talk about suicide with someone. They need and want help.

• below86 - Tuesday, November 6, 2018 6:59 AM

Thanks for the post Steve, really hits home today for me.  Today would have been my dad's 74 birthday. He passed away in July of 2017 from leukemia.  He wasn't in IT but he did always try to have a good work/life balance later in life.  When I was young he would some times be gone all week or several weeks at a time for his job. He did work up until he was close to 69, then gone before he turned 73.  Not quite 4 years of retirement doesn't seem like enough.

It's also close to the 3 years now that I lost a college to a hart attack, I believe he was only 56.  He worked a lot, always coming in at odd hours of the night because he couldn't sleep. 

I try and remind myself of how precious and short life is everyday.  Remember those we've lost, and let their family and friends know they are missed and that you are there for them.

My condolences. My father passed a couple years ago as well, somewhat suddenly. Was a shock.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Tuesday, November 6, 2018 10:19 AM

below86 - Tuesday, November 6, 2018 6:59 AM

Thanks for the post Steve, really hits home today for me.  Today would have been my dad's 74 birthday. He passed away in July of 2017 from leukemia.  He wasn't in IT but he did always try to have a good work/life balance later in life.  When I was young he would some times be gone all week or several weeks at a time for his job. He did work up until he was close to 69, then gone before he turned 73.  Not quite 4 years of retirement doesn't seem like enough.

My condolences. My father passed a couple years ago as well, somewhat suddenly. Was a shock.

My condolences to you to Steve.  While it was hard to see him deteriorate over almost 2 years, at least we had time for closure.  A sudden death is always hard to deal with.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    we travel not to escape life but for life not to escape us
    Don't fear failure, fear regret.

• Thank you for this post and for sharing the memorial fund created for her kids. 
    https://www.gofundme.com/naomi-williams-memorial-fund/donate

KU

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Tuesday, November 6, 2018 10:19 AM

below86 - Tuesday, November 6, 2018 6:59 AM

I'm very sorry to hear of your father's passing, Steve. And suddenly. It must have been hard.

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• Thanks all.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply