Importing text file

• I'm trying to import a delimited text file into SQL server 7.0 using DTS. The destination table has four columns: the first three are varchar(255), and the fourth is the text datatype. Although @@TEXTSIZE is set to 64512, only 255 chars are being imported. The text file uses commas to delimited columns with double quotes for text and uses a vertical bar as the record delimiter. When I checked the SOURCE column portion in DTS, it's showing 255--how can I make it larger to match the destination length?

• Check your SQL Server ODBC Driver. ver 6.5 below has a limited lenght of varchar field i.e. up to 255 chars. So it exports only 255 chars even if u have data more than 255 chars.I think ur might have the same driver. If so update ur driver.

• Thanks for your reply. I found the problem--I definitely misdiagnosed it! I was using Query Analyzer to see if my results had been written to the database. Unfortunately, Query Analyzer has a default max of 256 characters in the OUTPUT to save memory. You can change the value for a current connection using the Query | Current Connection Options. Select the Advanced tab, and change Maximum Characters per Column to a higher value to see more chars in the query results. Hope this helps someone else.

Thanks for your help.

• Thanks for the follow up Penny - definitely a chance someone else will run into the same thing.

Andy

• Hi guys ...

I've come accross a similiar problem. Changing the setting seems to resolve it.

My question is, how do I change this setting programmatically?

Thanks

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply