IMPLICIT_TRANSACTIONS & BEGIN TRAN

• Hugo Kornelis (1/12/2015)

I never liked implicit transaction, and I never will.

I am also glad that Carlo used PRINT, not SELECT. I thought that using SELECT would have started the implicit transaction, but I tested after answering this question and nothing changes if I use SELECT instead of PRINT. That was a surprise to me.

It shouldn't be a surprise, because there is an exception for select stating that if it doesn't access a table it won't start an implicit transaction.

What was a surprise for me was that for the purposes of this exception table variables count as tables; that seems a bit crazy - why should selecting something from a table variable start a transaction? Not because it's logical, so perhaps just because it's easiest to code it that way and logic of course doesn't matter.

Tom

• Hugo Kornelis (1/12/2015)

I thought that using SELECT would have started the implicit transaction, but I tested after answering this question and nothing changes if I use SELECT instead of PRINT. That was a surprise to me.

Since Hugo admitted it, so will I. And thanks to OP for the question.

[font="Verdana"]Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.[/font]
    Connect to me on LinkedIn

• TomThomson (1/12/2015)

Hugo Kornelis (1/12/2015)

I never liked implicit transaction, and I never will.

I am also glad that Carlo used PRINT, not SELECT. I thought that using SELECT would have started the implicit transaction, but I tested after answering this question and nothing changes if I use SELECT instead of PRINT. That was a surprise to me.

It shouldn't be a surprise, because there is an exception for select stating that if it doesn't access a table it won't start an implicit transaction.

What was a surprise for me was that for the purposes of this exception table variables count as tables; that seems a bit crazy - why should selecting something from a table variable start a transaction? Not because it's logical, so perhaps just because it's easiest to code it that way and logic of course doesn't matter.

What was a surprise for me was that either of you were surprised! 🙂

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!

• Thomas Abraham (1/12/2015)

Hugo Kornelis (1/12/2015)

I thought that using SELECT would have started the implicit transaction, but I tested after answering this question and nothing changes if I use SELECT instead of PRINT. That was a surprise to me.

Since Hugo admitted it, so will I. And thanks to OP for the question.

The select will not increment the transaction count, to test this, add a rollback between the sections.

😎

SET NOCOUNT ON;

PRINT @@TRANCOUNT

SET IMPLICIT_TRANSACTIONS ON

PRINT @@TRANCOUNT

BEGIN TRAN

PRINT @@TRANCOUNT

SET IMPLICIT_TRANSACTIONS OFF

PRINT @@TRANCOUNT

COMMIT

PRINT @@TRANCOUNT

rollback

select @@TRANCOUNT

SET IMPLICIT_TRANSACTIONS ON

select @@TRANCOUNT

BEGIN TRAN

select @@TRANCOUNT

SET IMPLICIT_TRANSACTIONS OFF

select @@TRANCOUNT

COMMIT

select @@TRANCOUNT

rollback

Output

-----------

No fan of implicit transactions nor in fact implicit anything when it comes to SQL Server/T-SQL

BTW thanks for the question;-)

• Good question. I got it wrong :(, but I learned something :-).

• +2 - thanks for the review. I always seem to forget this one.

Andre Ranieri

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply