implement Appdynamics database monitoring for SQL server

• Hi All,
    I would like to implement Appdynamics database monitoring for SQL server,but can anyone please guide\suggest  me which Custom alerts\performance metrics do we need to use setup for Appdynamics.like we have a Windows Performance counters few I have mentioned below.
    If any document that related to alerts please provide the same.
    If anyone using your environment can you please provide more information about appdynamics.

SQLServer: Buffer Manager: Buffer cache hit ratio 
    SQLServer: Buffer Manager: Page life expectancy
    SQLServer: General Statistics: User Connections

Thanks in advance!!

Best regards,
    DBA

SQL server DBA

• By defaul AppDynamics will come with all the counters you need for SQL Server so nothing required to add to it.

I use both AppD and SQL Monitor and I have to say that using Red Gate SQL Monitor is a lot easier to analize and compare loads from different points in time as well as comparing different counters for the same time perio so if you are still evaluating you should consider both.

AppD is used for a lot more than databases and the application monitoring is really great.

• Thank you Frederico.Please provide the some important counters for SQL  ,seems like you have already configured that if so please suggest so that i will proceed further.

Thanks in advance!!
    Best Regards,
    DBA

SQL server DBA

• frederico_fonseca - Friday, March 17, 2017 11:19 AM

By defaul AppDynamics will come with all the counters you need for SQL Server so nothing required to add to it.

I use both AppD and SQL Monitor and I have to say that using Red Gate SQL Monitor is a lot easier to analize and compare loads from different points in time as well as comparing different counters for the same time perio so if you are still evaluating you should consider both.

AppD is used for a lot more than databases and the application monitoring is really great.

Need your help to configure custom sql alerts and threshold values for appd monitoring tool.
    Can you please help me on this.
    I look forward to your positive response 

Thanks in advance!!

Best Regards,
    DBA

SQL server DBA

• I suggest that you go to https://www.appdynamics.com/community/ and look at the several threads there.

And if you have specific questions that aren't already answered post them there.

It is also advisable that you take the "university" courses as they can be quite helpful - or alternatively hire one of the good consultants on AppD if you are lucky to have one on your own country (not cheap though)

Note that I am not a AppD consultant - just a user.

• I understand that App D, it will be used for application monitoring. If you have already database monitoring tool configured. Would App D interfere with already configured monitoring tool for database?

• what did their tech support/sales people advise you?

and what have you read about it on their documentation? last I saw it was quite clear on what you are asking.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply