Identifying field value corresponding to MAX of another field value

• Hey All,

I'm hoping to get your expertise on this. I'm trying to populate a temp table as part of a bigger query, and I need to identify the value for the AssetClassCode which has the corresponding Max(AssetValue). I'm using the below script, but for some reason, it's returning an "Invalid syntax near 'ORDER'. Expecting ')', EXCEPT, or UNION" error and if I exclude the ORDER BY clause from the closing parenthesis, the error goes away, but the order of the MaxAssetValue is not correct.

IF OBJECT_ID('tempdb.dbo.#TempAssetClassDetails') IS NOT NULL

DROP TABLE dbo.#TempAssetClassDetails;

GO

(SELECT mac.code AS AssetClassCode, eal.PCMAssetClassId, e.id, et.enrollmentcoveragePeriodID AS CoverageID, MAX(ea.AssetValue) AS MaxAssetValue

INTO #TempAssetClassDetails

FROM SESEnrollmentINT.dbo.EnrollmentAsset ea

INNER JOIN SESEnrollmentINT.dbo.EnrollmentAssetList eal ON ea.EnrollmentAssetListId = eal.Id

INNER JOIN SESEnrollmentINT.dbo.EnrollmentTrans et ON eal.EnrollmentTransId = et.Id

INNER JOIN SESEnrollmentINT.dbo.EnrollmentCoveragePeriod ecp ON et.EnrollmentCoveragePeriodId = ecp.Id

INNER JOIN SESEnrollmentINT.dbo.Enrollment e ON ecp.EnrollmentId = e.Id

INNER JOIN SESHostInt.dbo.MasterAssetClass mac ON eal.PCMAssetClassId = mac.Id

GROUP BY mac.Code, eal.PCMAssetClassId, e.Id, et.enrollmentcoveragePeriodID, ea.AssetValue

--HAVING MAX(MaxAssetValue))

ORDER BY MAX(ea.AssetValue) DESC)

Here's a snapshot of some records where you can see the MaxAssetValue isn't being ordered properly:

I appreciate your guidance on this. Thanks!

• Why do you have parens around your query?

Drew

J. Drew Allen
    Business Intelligence Analyst
    Philadelphia, PA

• Good point, Drew. I removed the parens, but it's still not ordering by correctly. Any thoughts? Thanks.

• What's not ordering correctly?  The query or when you select from the temp table?

• ZZartin - Wednesday, September 26, 2018 2:52 PM

What's not ordering correctly?  The query or when you select from the temp table?

Good question......it actually appears that selecting from the temp table isn't ordering the MaxAssetValue column properly. I'm not sure why though.

• daniness - Wednesday, September 26, 2018 2:57 PM

ZZartin - Wednesday, September 26, 2018 2:52 PM

What's not ordering correctly?  The query or when you select from the temp table?

Good question......it actually appears that selecting from the temp table isn't ordering the MaxAssetValue column properly. I'm not sure why though.

What is the code you are running to select the data from the temp table?

• daniness - Wednesday, September 26, 2018 1:40 PM

Hey All,

I'm hoping to get your expertise on this. I'm trying to populate a temp table as part of a bigger query, and I need to identify the value for the AssetClassCode which has the corresponding Max(AssetValue). I'm using the below script, but for some reason, it's returning an "Invalid syntax near 'ORDER'. Expecting ')', EXCEPT, or UNION" error and if I exclude the ORDER BY clause from the closing parenthesis, the error goes away, but the order of the MaxAssetValue is not correct.

GO

(SELECT mac.code AS AssetClassCode, eal.PCMAssetClassId, e.id, et.enrollmentcoveragePeriodID AS CoverageID, MAX(ea.AssetValue) AS MaxAssetValue

INNER JOIN SESEnrollmentINT.dbo.EnrollmentAssetList eal ON ea.EnrollmentAssetListId = eal.Id

INNER JOIN SESEnrollmentINT.dbo.EnrollmentTrans et ON eal.EnrollmentTransId = et.Id

INNER JOIN SESEnrollmentINT.dbo.EnrollmentCoveragePeriod ecp ON et.EnrollmentCoveragePeriodId = ecp.Id

GROUP BY mac.Code, eal.PCMAssetClassId, e.Id, et.enrollmentcoveragePeriodID, ea.AssetValue

Here's a snapshot of some records where you can see the MaxAssetValue isn't being ordered properly:

What does the data look like if you run it with the INTO #TempAssetClassDetails commented out?

• daniness - Wednesday, September 26, 2018 1:40 PM

Hey All,

GO

• Sorry for earlier post
    Do you need to group by 
    ea.Asset Value??If not please remove it and run your code.

Thanks
    SE

• Add a Row_number() OVER(PARTITION BY mac.code ORDER BY ea.AssetValue DESC) Rn to the select list in the derived table and add a where clause WHERE Rn = 1

• Hey All,

Thanks for your input. I was able to get some help on this and ended up using a cte:

unique_results AS (

SELECT ID, --AssetClassDescription,

CoverageID,

MAX(Code) AS Code,

AssetValue

FROM AssetClassCode_by_Enrollments

WHERE CONCAT(ID, CoverageID, AssetValue) IN (SELECT CONCAT(ID, CoverageID, MAX(AssetValue)) AS AssetValue

FROM AssetClassCode_by_Enrollments

GROUP BY ID

,CoverageID)

GROUP BY ID,

CoverageID,

AssetValue)

SELECT ID

,CoverageID

,Code

,AssetValue

,(SELECT MAX(ISNULL(Description, 'not found in MasterAssetClass table'))

FROM SESHostProdCopy.dbo.MasterAssetClass mac

WHERE mac.Code = unique_results.code) AS AssetDescription

INTO #TempAssetClassDetails_CS2

from unique_results

order by ID;

SELECT DISTINCT

ire.SourceId AS EnrollmentID

,ire.SourceCoveragePeriod AS CoverageID

,ip.PolicyNumber

--,re.SourceTransactionId

,ip.PolicyCode

,ip.PCMPolicyID

,ip.ProductName

,pp.Code

,ire.ContractNumber --CustomerAccountNumber

,psc.Name AS CoverageTypeName

,TACD.Code AS AssetClassCode

,TACD.AssetDescription AS AssetClassDescription

FROM...

This seemed to have done the trick. Thanks for your replies!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply