How to Upgrade SQL Server

• Another obvious thing to remember, at least when installing brand new instance and not doing an in-place upgrade:
    The collation settings !!
    We have upgraded to SQL Server 2016 on brand new hardware at a hosting company. 
    We described the complete installation to them but did not specify that we did NOT want the standard Collation, but of course needed the same as all the databases were using.
    Now, 3 months later, when facing some performance issues, one of our key findings is the problems with tempDB and OLTP database not having same Collation, and we are stuck with it 🙂

• Thanks for the article.
    The 4 should be expanded for the following database objects:
    'SQL_STORED_PROCEDURE','SQL_TRIGGER','SQL_SCALAR_FUNCTION','SQL_TABLE_VALUED_FUNCTION','SQL_INLINE_TABLE_VALUED_FUNCTION'
    Please advise

• yshlafman - Friday, January 26, 2018 9:47 AM

Thanks for the article.
    The 4 should be expanded for the following database objects:
    'SQL_STORED_PROCEDURE','SQL_TRIGGER','SQL_SCALAR_FUNCTION','SQL_TABLE_VALUED_FUNCTION','SQL_INLINE_TABLE_VALUED_FUNCTION'
    Please advise

Yes, you can do this. However, in my testing and others who have followed my instructions have not see a need to do this. Just remember that this article is from my experience and if you feel or find they you need to do more then please do and share your finding 🙂

Rudy

• pti-704936 - Friday, January 26, 2018 6:48 AM

Another obvious thing to remember, at least when installing brand new instance and not doing an in-place upgrade:
    The collation settings !!
    We have upgraded to SQL Server 2016 on brand new hardware at a hosting company. 
    We described the complete installation to them but did not specify that we did NOT want the standard Collation, but of course needed the same as all the databases were using.
    Now, 3 months later, when facing some performance issues, one of our key findings is the problems with tempDB and OLTP database not having same Collation, and we are stuck with it 🙂

God point! Thanks for sharing 🙂

Rudy

• peter.row - Friday, January 26, 2018 1:05 AM

Also remember if you use SSRS component of SQL Server and you have multiple instances of it installed on the same server don't upgrade to SQL Server 2017 because SSRS can now only have 1 instance per server because MS hate you.

Thanks Peter.. Very good point. I have not found this SSRS issue with my upgrades but they were not on a multi instance server... will be upgrading our multi instance servers soon so I have my fingers crossed. 🙂

Rudy

• An old thread (but a good one) if anyone wants an excellent SQL Server build guide look no further: http://www.sqlservercentral.com/blogs/jonrussell/2014/04/01/sql-server-installation-checklist/

qh

[font="Tahoma"]Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes. – Carl Jung.[/font]
  • You don't run the update statistics if you are upgrading it from SQL Server 2005 onwards.

• premkumardr - Monday, January 29, 2018 7:52 PM

You don't run the update statistics if you are upgrading it from SQL Server 2005 onwards.

Won't hurt to do so. 🙂

Rudy

• premkumardr - Monday, January 29, 2018 7:52 PM

You don't run the update statistics if you are upgrading it from SQL Server 2005 onwards.

On any upgrade, the BARE MINIMUM would be to run DBCC CHECKDB and upgrade your stats.  An I've done a far few upgrade/migrations in the past 10 years.

Do you have a link stating why you should not?

qh

[font="Tahoma"]Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes. – Carl Jung.[/font]

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply