How to update a Tables with randum Null parameters

• Hi,

I have a number of parameters (see below ) that come into a Stored procedure. In the application that this is called from the user may have only some of these (or maybe just one of these) being updated at a given call. Now I could do this with a series of IF statements Like if first name is not NULL set first name and update. But that seems a bad way to do it is there a better way, one in which I can do it in one step.

My parameters ccomnming in:

@first_name [varchar](50),

@last_name [varchar](50),

@add1 [varchar](50),

@add2 [varchar](50),

@city [varchar](25),

@state [varchar](2),

@zip [varchar](9),

Thank you

• just a thought (might be a bad one)

build a table variable or temp table and put the values in there in a format that mimics the target table (as a single row)

then use a merge or update statement

update target set firstname=case when source.firstname is null then target.firstname else source.firstname,

lasttname=case when source.lastname is null then target.lastname else source.lastname, ......

from xxx as source inner join yyy as target on …...

you get the picture?

MVDBA

• Building the update query using dynamic SQL is one way. Alternatively, something like this should work:

UPDATE t
    SET FirstName = IsNull(@first_name, FirstName),
    LastName = IsNull(@last_name, LastName), etc etc
    FROM table1 t
    WHERE SomeId = @some_id

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• or even better, rather than building up the table variable inside the proc , could you pass a TVP through?

MVDBA

• phil's idea is better than mine

MVDBA

• Thanks that looks far better than what I was thinking.

Thank you

• I know this might sound stupid, but check to see if all of your parameters are NULL - then don't update a row that is setting itself to itself.

MVDBA

• The problem I ma haveing with your solution is that while it updates waht I want it sets all the other fields to noull wiping out what they had.

I need them to stay and the ones I changed only to change.

any ideas?

• I do not see how you would do this. would you have an example?

Thank you

• itmasterw 60042 wrote:

I do not see how you would do this. would you have an example?

Thank you

nope - both phil and my solution set the value to itself if the parameter is null - only the fields where the parameter is not null will be changed

from phil's example

SET FirstName = IsNull(@first_name, FirstName),

if you set @firstname to null then it keeps it's value (isnull(@firstname,firstname) will evaluate to the existing value)

MVDBA

• Well this is what I have below, and if the parameter is NULL it is wiping it out.

Am I doing it wrong somehow?

UPDATE [dbo].[DebtorACH]
    SET first_name = IsNull(@first_name, first_name),
    ...others here

FROM [dbo].[Debtor]
    WHERE file_no = @file_no

• itmasterw 60042 wrote:

Well this is what I have below, and if the parameter is NULL it is wiping it out.

Am I doing it wrong somehow?

UPDATE [dbo].[DebtorACH]
    SET first_name = IsNull(@first_name, first_name),
    ...others here

FROM [dbo].[Debtor]
    WHERE file_no = @file_no

are you passing in NULL or 'NULL' ?

MVDBA

• give me 2 minutes and i'll get you a working example

MVDBA

• Okay, I am working in a VB application and am just, for now, I am just changing the first name. So the other fields would be left blank which if I am not mistaken would be a NULL, but maybe I am wrong?

• ok - here is an example that does not null out your columns

CREATE TABLE x (id int, firstname VARCHAR(50),lastname VARCHAR(50))
    GO
    INSERT INTO x SELECT 1,'mike','jones'
    go

CREATE PROC upd @id int,@firstname varchar(50),@lastname varchar(50)
    AS
    UPDATE x SET firstname=ISNULL(@firstname,firstname),lastname=isnull(@lastname,lastname)
    GO
    SELECT * FROM x
    GO
    EXEC upd 1, NULL,NULL
    go
    SELECT * FROM x

i put a select statement at the end to show you that calling the proc with NULL values does not change the data

MVDBA

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply