How to unsubscribe from an Author?

• I was in here one day and subscribed to follow 3 authors - so I get an email every time they post.

How do I unsubscribe? For the life of me, I cannot figure out how.

I would think it would be off of the 'Following' option of my account.

Thanks,

Ozzie

• I don't think you can do that from your profile at this time. If you click on the link to the post in one of the emails, you should see the post in a thread by whoever you are following and under their name, avatar. points etc  is an Unfollow link/button you can click on to unfollow the person.

Sue

• That is not the case - there is only a ‘follow’ link.

Seems like they might be in violation of the ‘Canned Spam’ act - https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/business-center/guidance/can-spam-act-compliance-guide-business - I’m just trying to stop all of the emails. Doug

• Are they listed as people you follow in your profile under following? I really don't think they are spamming, they aren't know to do that.

Other ways you can get email is if you are subscribed to a topic or post, that's in your subscriptions in your profile.

Or maybe are these the newletters or database weekly? Those settings are in the newsletter in your profile.

Sue

• No not the authors Sue - I think I’m being pretty clear - there is no way to unfollow an author once you follow them. I’m getting 20-25 emails a day from SQLSeverCentral. And it’s not on purpose - I think we they redesigned they left it off. I love the site, I just want to stop the emails.

Doug

• I was trying to help and rule out any other possibilities, that's all. I've changed who I follow since the new site and didn't have any issues. I have unfollowed without any issues by doing exactly as I wrote. And I'm still following someone, can go to their posts and the unfollow is there.

Remove your email from your profile or put in a bogus one. Or write to webmaster@ this site.

Sue

• I'm seeing an Unfollow link. I just followed you. Below your name, it says Unfollow on the left:

2019-05-08_12-28-56

Does that work?

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Grant,

I see the link on each email.

I’m getting a bunch of emails from Jeff Moden. If I click on the link - I see his name with a link to ‘Follow’ not ‘Unfollow.’

Not a big big deal, just an inconvenience - the same situation exists with your responses Grant ??

Doug

• Hmm, I'm not sure what you're doing. If I go to a post by Jeff, and I click " follow" under his name/rank/points, I see this:

2019-05-08 11_12_49-Microsoft Edge

If I click unfollow, it goes back to follow.

2019-05-08 11_13_40-Microsoft Edge

• OK, I see a bug here. Even though it says I'm unsubscribed, I've gottne emails.

Failed a high priority bug here.

• FWIW...it did work initially after the rollout. Shortly after the new site was up, I unsubscribed from a couple of people and the emails stopped. I've only gotten emails from one that I still follow. May or may not mean anything but thought I'd mention that.

Sue

• Hi,

I also "followed" Jeff Moden without realising I would be receiving an email per post (see attached)!Jeff_Moden_Notification_emails

I have followed instructions mentioned above and clicked on the "Unfollow" below Jeff's name on one of the numerous posts (busy man) I have received but the website does not seem to be doing anything after the click.  I would expect the "Unfollow" to change to a "Follow".  The link (https://www.sqlservercentral.com/forums/jeffmoden/3638528#unfollow) also seems to be specific to the post rather than Jeff's profile.  I want to unfollow Jeff (no offence - just to stop the emails).  I would expect there to be a link on Jeff's profile page to unfollow but there does not seem to be an option.  There is a nice list of his followers of which I am still one.

Any helpful links to resolve this would be appreciated, something like https://www.sqlservercentral.com/forums/user/jeff-moden#unfollow would be great.

PeteB

• A bug has been filed for the issue. In the meantime, you can create a rule for your emails to move or delete those. The notification emails and the ones for the subscriptions to newsletters have a different sender so you could still keep the newsletters. I think if the team working on the site start trying to manage the followers individually, they will never get the time to fix the issue.

Sue

• PeteB wrote:

I have followed instructions mentioned above and clicked on the "Unfollow" below Jeff's name on one of the numerous posts (busy man) I have received but the website does not seem to be doing anything after the click.  I would expect the "Unfollow" to change to a "Follow".

Hi PeteB, I'm one of the developers working on the SQL Server Central project. I find it strange that you don't see the hyperlink text update when you click the 'Follow'/'Unfollow' link. Maybe there's a JavaScript error. When you have a moment, could you please open the developer tools pane in your browser (Usually F12), select the 'console' tab, then try and follow/unfollow users to see if any warnings/errors are being produced? Could you please also select the 'network' tab and check to see if AJAX requests are firing when you click the 'Follow/Unfollow' links?

Many thanks,

Edward

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply