how to structure this query(which is a view)

• Hi Guys,

I have a query that joins two tables. Basically I have a meeting table with fields like MeetingID,Name,Description,DateCreated.

Then I have a table Called Invited_meeting_users which has fields

(ID, MeetingID, UserID).

Now in my current view I join the two tables and get all the fields from the meeting table and just the userid field from the Invited_meeting_users table.

Then on my front end app I need to show the logged in user the meetings he is invited to.

So i select from my view where userid = current logged in userid. Easy enough.

Now my problem is. Data in view looks like this:

3Test 1sdfewfNS303

3Test 1sdfewfNS472

3Test 1sdfewfNS599

8Test 2303

8Test 2599

9Test 2NULL

Foe meetingid 3 user 599 is invited. for meetingid 8 he is invited as well.

I need to show all meetings to a specific group of people. So I cant just select all records from my view as the meetings are repeated(meeting id 3 and 8 appear multiple times as they have multiple users)

I can't group by in my view as it won't allow me to group by just meetingid fro example. I have to group by all the fields in the select part of my query. So when I add userid into my query all records still appear. I need it to look like this for the group of users that see all meetings:

3Test 1sdfewfNS

8Test 2

9Test 2

just the 3 meetings. no duplicates. and userid is not needed.

But in my 1st part as explained above I need userid. How do I get past this. please help

• niter can you show us the current query you are using? we can probably infer a lot from that, but the CREATE VIEW definition would help as well;

the requrement looks pretty easy, but it'll waste everyones time if i guess at a schema, post an answer based on my version of your schema, and then we follow up with multiple posts fora adjustments because my guess doesn't match your actual schema.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Hi Lowell,

this is my view

GO

/****** Object: View [dbo].[OSC_Users_Meetings] Script Date: 07/08/2010 14:15:35 ******/

SET ANSI_NULLS ON

GO

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON

GO

CREATE VIEW [dbo].[OSC_Users_Meetings]

AS

SELECT DISTINCT m.MeetingID, m.Name, m.Description, m.Venue, mm.UserID

FROM dbo.OSC_Meeting AS m LEFT OUTER JOIN

dbo.OSC_Invited_Meeting_Members AS mm ON m.MeetingID = mm.MeetingID AND mm.Active = 1

WHERE (m.Active = 1)

my meeting table

GO

/****** Object: Table [dbo].[OSC_Meeting] Script Date: 07/08/2010 14:16:58 ******/

SET ANSI_NULLS ON

GO

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON

GO

SET ANSI_PADDING ON

GO

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[OSC_Meeting](

[MeetingID] [bigint] IDENTITY(1,1) NOT NULL,

[Name] [varchar](150) NULL,

[Description] [varchar](200) NULL,

[Active] [bit] NULL CONSTRAINT [DF_OSC_Meeting_Active] DEFAULT ((1)),

[Venue] [varchar](150) NULL,

[DateCreated] [datetime] NULL,

CONSTRAINT [PK_OSC_Meeting] PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED

(

[MeetingID] ASC

)WITH (PAD_INDEX = OFF, STATISTICS_NORECOMPUTE = OFF, IGNORE_DUP_KEY = OFF, ALLOW_ROW_LOCKS = ON, ALLOW_PAGE_LOCKS = ON) ON [PRIMARY]

) ON [PRIMARY]

GO

SET ANSI_PADDING OFF

my meeting_users table:

GO

/****** Object: Table [dbo].[OSC_Invited_Meeting_Members] Script Date: 07/08/2010 14:17:47 ******/

SET ANSI_NULLS ON

GO

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON

GO

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[OSC_Invited_Meeting_Members](

[id] [bigint] IDENTITY(1,1) NOT NULL,

[MeetingID] [bigint] NOT NULL,

[UserID] [int] NOT NULL,

[Active] [bit] NOT NULL CONSTRAINT [DF_OSC_Invited_Meeting_Members_Active] DEFAULT ((1)),

CONSTRAINT [PK_OSC_Meeting_Members] PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED

(

[id] ASC

)WITH (PAD_INDEX = OFF, STATISTICS_NORECOMPUTE = OFF, IGNORE_DUP_KEY = OFF, ALLOW_ROW_LOCKS = ON, ALLOW_PAGE_LOCKS = ON) ON [PRIMARY]

) ON [PRIMARY]

GO

ALTER TABLE [dbo].[OSC_Invited_Meeting_Members] WITH CHECK ADD CONSTRAINT [FK_OSC_Meeting_Members_OSC_Meeting] FOREIGN KEY([MeetingID])

REFERENCES [dbo].[OSC_Meeting] ([MeetingID])

GO

ALTER TABLE [dbo].[OSC_Invited_Meeting_Members] CHECK CONSTRAINT [FK_OSC_Meeting_Members_OSC_Meeting]

test data:

Meeting Table:

MeetingID Name Description dateCreated

3 Test 1 Test 1

8 Test 2 Test 2

Meeting Users:

ID MeetingID UserID

1 3 599

2 3 100

3 8 599

Now with my current view I can select all meeting data with userid. And in my front end I filter by userid.

But say I want to show all meetings and not filter by userid. I would now get all meetings if I run my view, but 2 instances of meeting 3 as there are 2 users in that meeting.

I need to show each meeting once but I have no idea how to achieve both these scenarios with one view

• Can we get you to post your sample data in the form of insert statements? This will make it A LOT easier to test the result before we post it. (See the first link in my signature for how to do this.)

Thanks!

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply