How to share registered servers across profiles

• I have a group of several developers. The first developer registered over 200 SQL Servers in Enterprise Manager on his computer. Now, I would like to find a way to copy this set of registered servers to all the other developers.

I hope someone else has already ran across this and has a solution!

• Hi,

I am not sure it will work accross different servers but try this:

Suppose all your registered servers are in one group SQL Server Group (if not, adjust accordingly)

Export a registry entry

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\SQLEW\Registered Servers X\SQL Server Group]

Copy the resulting reg file to where you need it. You may want to replace the entry for "Local" server of the Source server with the entry for the "Local" server of the destination server. I did not try that. Anyway, try it first on the test computer.

What I did on my test machine: I had 2 servers registered which makes 3 including Local. I exported the above registry entry and saved it to a reg file. Then I deleted 2 registrations. Made sure I could not see them in both EM and Registry. Run the saved reg file. Made sure I can see both non-local registrations in both EM and Registry. Made sure I can access both non-local servers

Regards,Yelena Varsha

• On EM

select Tools->Options and uncheck Read/Store user independent

hth

* Noel

• Noel,

This option would work for independent of user. Am I right?

In this case where the SQL Server Registation information would be stored?

Can this information can be edited by anyone?

Sivaprasad S - [ SIVA ][/url]http://sivasql.blogspot.com/[/url]

• Hi,

The original question was not clear, do you want to share across profiles on one server (this could be guessed by the topic title) or you would like to move the registrations to another computer (this could be guessed by "registered on his computer" words)

Unchecking the "Store User Independent" will easily work on the same computer., but will not work for moving the registrations to another computer.

Yelena

Regards,Yelena Varsha

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply