How to schedule database backup in SQL Server Express edition

• Hi,

How to take/schedule database backup in SQL Server Express edition (latest version)
    Required log backup every day with 1 hour interval (except Sunday) and full backup on Sunday.

Pls advise the script for take above backup in SQL Server Express edition.

As per my understanding SQL Server Agent is not available in Express edition,

Regards
    Binu

• binutb - Sunday, January 27, 2019 11:47 AM

Hi,

How to take/schedule database backup in SQL Server Express edition (latest version)
    Required log backup every day with 1 hour interval (except Sunday) and full backup on Sunday.

Regards
    Binu

You could call a batch file or PowerShell script from a Windows Scheduled Task (taskmgr).
    The batch file would call sqlcmd.

• binutb - Sunday, January 27, 2019 11:47 AM

Hi,

Regards
    Binu

MS has a sample of doing what Jonathan is suggesting with a batch file as well as a stored procedure you can use in the following article:
    How to schedule and automate backups of SQL Server databases in SQL Server Express

Sue

• Thanks...

• Look at dbatools.io as well. You could use a scheduled task that would be easy and trivial to write with their cmdlets.

• You best bet would be to check out Ola Hallengrens backup solution (https://ola.hallengren.com/). Check out the FQA section and he details how you can use the backup with SQL Express.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply