How to scan and remove virus in SQL Tables

• Hi.

I have a website on my server that is infected with virus. If the users goes in it download virus to visitors PC.

I think it has got there in the first place because of some bad programming in our CMS system (that i know little about)

My question is: Does anyone know a good tool to scan SQL databases for viruses? I have tried Norton and Mcaffe but cant see if it actually check inside the tables of SQL.

CAn anyone recoment a good one that we could use. If no free versions available we are happy for a comersial version that is not to expensive 🙂

Kind Regards

Morten

• As far as I'm aware this cannot be done with any AV scanner

- what type/name of virus are you trying to remove?

• Where are you seeing the virus? Is it when they access the website or when they download something that is stored in the database? Can you extract the documents from the database to scan them?

• Hi

You see the virus when you enter the website. You dont even have to download.

I open the site and i get virus warning on my PC and the PC can not remove it.

There are 2 viruses

JS/Fox.A

Trojan-Downloader.JS.Iframe.wh

I just have no idea how to get it out as it seems to be stored in SQL or that a line has been added somewhere to a link that download the viruses.

So I am a little stuck on where to look

Any help would be appreciated

Kind Regards

Morten

• I had to fix one of these for a client. The virus got in via SQL injection from the website. The only artifact in the SQL database was HTML code in a text field. The HTML code contained a script call to a URL to the virus code on a computer with a .cn address. Check the column values to see if any HTML is in columns where it should not be.

• Hi

Thanks. I will have a look at that.

Does that mean that we have a potential bad code in our CMS to allow sql injections? or would it more be settings on the Server/rights etc..

Running IIS5 and Win2000

Kind Regards

Morten

• morten (10/15/2008)

Hi

Thanks. I will have a look at that.

Does that mean that we have a potential bad code in our CMS to allow sql injections? or would it more be settings on the Server/rights etc..

Running IIS5 and Win2000

Kind Regards

Morten

This would definitely mean that you have bad code in the website, I am guessing that you are using dynamic SQL to access the database. This should be changed as soon as possible to use stored procedures or paramatized queries.

• Hi,

There is also a software called DotDefender which can be used as well

http://applicure.com/?page=dotDefender

• Hi Grasshopper.

Thanks 🙂

That was just what I was looking for.

Of course I still need to find the hole but this will help me I think to deal with the situation and prevent it in the future.

Thanks alot

Regards

Morten

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply