how to prove network is slow

• Hi All,

Is there any easy way / dirty test to determine/prove my network is slow without baseline info?

Thanks in advance.

-Sam

• In my experience, the network low on my list of things to review for slow running queries.

returning trivial information, like SELECT @@VERSION should come back instantly. that would quickly show network performance as a baseline, vs other queries that run slower.

much more likely, you want to look at the top slowest performing queries, missing indexes, etc as your first review for performance.

Glenn Berry's website[/url] has some nice scripts to use as a jumping off point.

i'd also get Brent Ozar's SQL Blitz[/url] scripts to review the easy, low hanging fruit if you've been droppe dintot eh accidental DBA role.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• You can use perfmon counters to show what the network card(s) are handling. Like Current Bandwidth, Bytes Total/Sec, Output Queue Length, And Packets/Sec.

I've also just used Task Manager, which has shown that the network was misconfigured somewhere because a gigabit interface was running at 10MB.

• Depends on your environment. One easy way that works most places is Iperf.

https://github.com/esnet/iperf

• Load a file to a table:

1. From a local folder (local to the server)

2. From a network location.

• Sergiy (11/23/2015)

Load a file to a table:

1. From a local folder (local to the server)

2. From a network location.

You could do the same with using robocopy which gives nice readouts of data transfer speeds, but by copying files rather than testing the tcp packets directly you introduce the possibility of confusing a potential network issue with disk issues.

Alternatively you could probably use something like wireshark, or if you have the money there are lots of vendors such as solarwinds, new relic ect that track network performance.

• Awesome. Thank you all for sharing thoughts. Will try 1 by1.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply