How to open a .DTS package in the SQL 2000 DTS Designer

• I am migrating a SQL 2000 ETL process to SQL2k8R2. The old process uses sp_CmdShell to run a .DTS package, which does the acetal bulk insert into the raw tables. I need to open up the legacy .DTS file and analyze what is doing so that I can re-engineer it in SQL2K8R2. I do have access to a full production copy of SQL 2000, with the DTS designer, but I can't find an option to open or import a DTS package from a file. Can anyone tell me how to open a .DTS package in the SQL 2000 DTS Designer?

Thanks!

• Perhaps you can try using open DTS Package Task in SSIS to edit. I'm not sure though.

• Fire up the SQL2000 enterprise manager tool, connect to the server (like Management studio on 2008) and selct "data transformation services" to see the packages on that server. Right click "data transformation services" and select Open to open a .dts file

• You should have SQL2000 Enterprise Management Tool.

- Open SQL2000 Enterprise Management Tool and connect to any SQL Database server you want (must be in 2000 version)

- Right click on Data Transformation Services and select Open package

Hope useful

• Yep, found it. It works. I just wasn't looking at the right menu options.

How to open a DTS package saved to a structured storage file (Enterprise Manager)

To open a DTS package saved to a structured storage file

1.In the SQL Server Enterprise Manager console tree, right-click Data Transformation Services, and then click Open Package.

2.In the Select File dialog box, click the .dts file you want, and then click Open.

3.If multiple Data Transformation Services (DTS) packages or package versions were saved, the Select Package dialog box appears. Click the package or package version you want to open.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply