how to install 32-bit providers on existing 64-bit cluster

• Hello,

Here is the issue I have:

- 2-node failover 64-bit cluster running SQL Server 2008 Standard SP1

- I've developed a new package to import from a dBASE source using the JET provider

- the package fails when run from the clustered instance, in researching I've determined I need the 32-bit provider installed

- I've tried installing BIDS or 'Management Tools - Complete' to the existing installation on both the active and failover node seperately; both fail on the rule "Existing clustered or cluster-prepared instance"

My thought is that I need to remove the failover/inactive node (Node2) from the cluster, install the 'additional feature to the existing instance', then add Node2 back. Then fail everything over to Node2 and repeat for Node1.

Any guidance on wether this is the prescribed way to proceed or if I need to do something else is greatly appreciated. This is the first cluster I've worked with, so I am a bit "gun-shy".

Thanks,

Eric

• Hi Eric,

why would you need to install BIDS on the servers themselves? You can deploy your solution without any management/development GUI installed on the target machine, or have I missed something here?

You should be able to install the required provider and then install your import solution (exe, ssis packet etc.) onto the server. Both of these should not require BIDS to be installed.

What does you solution look like?

Regards,

WilliamD

• WilliamD,

Thank you for the response. First off, I was directed to the solution to installing BIDS and/or Management Tools on the cluster. The solution, which seemed obvious after reading it, was found here.

It may be possible to find the stand-alone provider and install it, but I followed this information: "If you have to run certain packages in 32-bit mode, you have to install the 32-bit versions of the Integration Services tools. To install the 32-bit versions of the tools, you must select either Business Intelligence Development Studio or Management Tools - Complete during setup."

Thanks,

Eric

• Hi Eric,

thanks for your heads-up too! I am migrating to 2008 64 Bit in the next few days and will have SSIS to consider too. This has not come up in our test migrations, but we are wanting to use SSIS extensively in the future.

Regards,

WilliamD

• My understanding is that if you need to connect to SQL using the 32-bit JET provider and you are on a 64-bit box, then you are between a rock and a hard place.

The 32-bit JET provider can only work if you install a 32-bit instance in WOW mode on the 64-bit server. A native 64-bit instance cannot talk to the 32-bit JET provider.

This problem is planned to be fixed, but only in the SQL 2008 R2 timeframe.

You may want to look up this situation on other threads or check this with Microsoft as this situation may have changed.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply