How to import unknown length of UTF-8 characters with Import wizard?

• Hi everyone,

I have a Flat file formatted in UTF-8 and it has unknown number of characters length and there is only one column to import. When I choose for DataType as String(DT_WSTR), and OutputColumnWidth = 4000, which is its max, it gives me an error for text truncated.

I also tried DataType as Unicode text stream(DT_NTEXT) but I get an error and it asked to import as DT_TEXT and use a converter to Unicode, which I am not sure about this approach.

Is there any other way that you can show me how to import unlimited UTF-8 text to a nvarchar(max) type column with the Import Wizard?

• Are you using data conversion for doing data transfer, have you tried to ignore truncation if error happened? See attachment.

• lsalih - Wednesday, October 18, 2017 12:30 PM

Are you using data conversion for doing data transfer, have you tried to ignore truncation if error happened? See attachment.

Thank you Isalih! It looks like you are using the SQL Data Tools to set this up. I actually need to learn about this tool first before I can do anything because I have no knowledge about it. I thought the Import and Export Wizard can handle this task. Anyway, Thank you for your help. The data I got have many emoji characters which I thought the data should be in UTF-8 but I figured I need to test it out with Unicode format, which it worked our for me now. Thank you so much!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply