How to fix 'PRIMARY' filegroup is full error

• I have just added a 500G USB drive. I have created a DB on it and am attempting to export data to it. The problem is I keep getting:

Could not allocate space for object 'dbo.Matched' in database 'MyDBK' because the 'PRIMARY' filegroup is full. Create disk space by deleting unneeded files, dropping objects in the filegroup, adding additional files to the filegroup, or setting autogrowth on for existing files in the filegroup

The drive is empty so there is plenty of room. How do I set auto gro or something so this error goes away?

• Do you have sufficient disk space ? if yes then One possible reason could be that you have restricted the growth of your data file. Go to properties of the database and select general tab andsee if you have opted for 'restricted growth'. Marking the option as 'unrestricted file growth' will prevent this error. Also ensure that they have autogrowht option enabled. If your disk is full due to this you need to consider increasing the disk space.

[font="Verdana"]- Deepak[/font]

• This is a new external 500G drive and is empty.

I am looking at the General tab. Every thing is disabled and I don't see anything that looks like restricted growth or auto growth. Under Database i see Sapce Available is .13MB.

Am i looking in ther right place?

• On the database properties page Files tab the the Data, PRIMARY IS SET TO BY 10 PERCENT UNRESTRICTED.

The log file is set to Log, Not Applicable, unrestricted growth set for BY 10 PERCENT RESTRICTED growth to 2097152. When I change this to unrestricted it shanges back to the restricted.

is this the right place to change this value? Or do I need to do something else?

• are you by any chance running sql express and not workgroup/dev/enterprise/standard edition? Express has a 4gb data limit which could be your issue. If not then at least its 1 more thing ruled out 🙂

• I am running SQL 2005. But youdid give me the hint that solved the problem. My external drive was formated FAT32. I needed to change it to NTFS.

thanks

• I just got this error message this morning on a filegroup that is spread across 2 drives. The main .mdf file is set to NOT autogrow. The 2nd file is on a drive with over 500GB and IS set to autogrow. This morning it claimed the filegroup is full. I went in and manually increased the size and the error went away.

Does anybody know if this is a bug in 2005 SP2 Enterprise edition?

• jimk-524058 (5/3/2010)

I just got this error message this morning on a filegroup that is spread across 2 drives. The main .mdf file is set to NOT autogrow. The 2nd file is on a drive with over 500GB and IS set to autogrow. This morning it claimed the filegroup is full. I went in and manually increased the size and the error went away.

Does anybody know if this is a bug in 2005 SP2 Enterprise edition?

So, you have an mdf file on one drive and an ndf file on the second drive, correct?

Which file did you expand?

• In my experience, this message occurs when the primary file (.mdf) has no space to save the metadata of the database. This file include the system tables and they only save their data into it.

Make some space in the file and the commands works again.

That's all, Enjoy

• Thank you very much for your writing, your information has helped me.

driving directions

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply