How to find User Connections

• Hi All,

How do i find number of user connection?

• You can run the following in the master db

select count(*) from master.dbo.sysprocesses

or can use sp_who or sp_who2 for more detail other than a count.

Hope this helps

• HI,

This says 248? So what is this number or is this make any difference to the SQL Server if so how do i find the bottleneck?

• finding bottleneck:

Look at the performance counter (cpu, I/O)?

sp_who2 gives some information about connections, if they are blocked and the amount op cpu,io since the connection started

sql profiler can start a trace to find the longest running/expensive queries.

• because spids that are below 50 are system processes, i usually use this for the rough guestimate:

select count(*) from master.dbo.sysprocesses where spid >=50

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Hi

Thanks, Now says 267. Is there any limits on SQL 2000 STd?

How  do i find how many user cals required for this server?

• i know for SQL 2000, there's an applet in the control panel: Start>>Control Panel>> SQL Server Licensing Setup;

mine says Processor License for 2 Processors, and doesn't have the ability to switch to the grayed out Per Seat mode...I believe that gets setup on installation/reinstallation, and maybe if you reinstall service packs.

I've heard that there's no limit to the number that can connect on a LAN when it's per processor, and that you need a separate license for internet connections, but i'm not a licensing guru;

I've read that you should plan for as much as 50 meg per connection to have the server run efficiently (rule of thumb..not the law), so for example, 2 gig of ram would be sufficient for 40? or is it 400 user connections...

HTH

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• HI,

Yes, I got that and set to per seat 100 and per processor grayout.

But now i want to know is there anyway i can see that we got 100 CAL's? I' just started for this company and trying to document.

If we didn't get 100 cal's is there any issues with above 267 connections?

Like to know that 50mb for 40 users or connections?

• SQL Server licensing has nothing to do with the number of connections.

It's either per-processor or server + CAL.

Per-processor = unlimited users, devices, and connections.

Server + CAL = Each server must be licensed; server access is licensed by user and machine CALs (Client Access License).

User CAL: A named user may connect to any number of server-licensed servers on the same physical network.  The number of simultaneous connections and the number of devices that user may use at any given time are unlimited.

Device CAL: A single device (workstation, laptop, smartphone, etc) may be used by any number of users to connect to any number of per-server licensed servers on the same physical network.  The number of simultaneous connections is unlimited.  Note that a device CAL does not cover users connecting to the device as middle-tier application server that is connecting to SQL Servers.  (See 'multiplexing' in the licensing info)

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/howtobuy/default.mspx

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/forums/shwmessage.aspx?forumid=5&messageid=258082#bm286332

To determine if you have 100 CALs, you will need to find the documentation your company received when it purchased the CALs.  The 'licensing utility' was just a little tool that let anyone type in a number to help them remember what they actually purchased.  If you are using an open/volume licensing plan through MS, then your CAL count should be available on the open or volume licensing web pages.  If you are purchasing licensing through vendors, then you should have received paper Server, CAL, and/or processor license documents.

-Eddie

Eddie Wuerch
    MCM: SQL

• Hi Eddie,

Thank you so much for your information and your time.I got few questiont to ask and please help.

1. MS SQL STD Server Open License with Software Assurence @ 1850

Is this mean every year need to pay @1850?

2. MS SQL User CAL with Software Assurance @330?

again, is this per year?

3. I got 1 Server with Per user cals but i'm going to buy 2nd server with per processor (@11,856) , because its cheap compare to per user + server. By doing this am i into any issues with user connection?

• This reply has been reported for inappropriate content.

What specific strategies does SEO Services North London employ to ensure businesses in the region achieve prominent search engine rankings, maximize online visibility, and effectively drive targeted traffic to their websites?

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  Ant-Green.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  WilliamRohana.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply